cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The desktop app on my Windows computer hangs on connecting...Any ideas?

The desktop app on my Windows computer hangs on connecting...Any ideas?

Alan Trinder
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox not more often than not does not progress past connecting (windows desktop app). If I reboot the pc is usually starts ok but that is not a satisfactory solution. Would appeciate help.

7 Replies 7

Re: dropbox hangs on connecting

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Alan Trinder; welcome to our Community!

I'll be glad to look into this for you so could you please let me know what the app is reporting within your computer's system tray at the moment? If you're not seeing it all, you might want to re-install our app Alan. 

While we're at it, have you made sure that your computer's OS is up to date and that there's no antivirus, firewalls or even a VPN/proxy setting that could be causing this? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Alan Trinder
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

Tried to reply wit hscreen photo etc but google said it could not deliver.

However, for no reason that I can explain other than it followed getting photos from the dropbox web rather than the desktop app the desktop app started to work.

So far it is now working.

No idea what the reason was or is but see how we get on.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop Alan; I'm glad to hear this seems to be sorted now. 

If you have any questions or should this ever happen again in the future, please feel free to give us a shout; we're always a post away:wink:

Enjoy the rest of your day and stay safe @Alan Trinder

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Alan Trinder
Explorer | Level 3

This morning the app did not sign in again. I rebooted the pc and it loaded.

It is like it misses some part  of the start process, sometimes but not always?

A bit lost now, maybe  something on my PC clashes wit hte app but what as it is not consistent.

Rather fustrating

Walter
Dropboxer

Thaks for keeping me in the loop Alan!

I'm sorry to hear this happened again, but while we're at it, could you get me the app's version? I have a hunch you might be using a beta version of our desktop app and since those are still in testing, you could be experiencing some issues like the one you described for example. 

If that's the case indeed, I'd suggest installing our most recent, stable version of the desktop app and giving it a spin as it might actually do the trick for you. 

Nevertheless, please keep me posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Alan Trinder
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter

The app version is v94.3.371

Hope that helps

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for that detail Alan!

It was exactly as I suspected as you seem to be on the beta version of our desktop app (these are denoted by the middle digit, i.e. xx.3.yyy denotes a beta or experimental build while xx.4.yyy would mean you're on the stable version).

That being said, I'd highly recommend that you install our latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application after opting out from 'early releases' within your account's settings

Then, use the following link to install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=93.4.273&plat=win&type=full 

Once you install the stable build, it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes, but operation should return to normal. 

In any case, please let me know the results Alan. Thank you.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?