cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The desktop app shows an error "Can't sync", how can this be resolved?

The desktop app shows an error "Can't sync", how can this be resolved?

joyjaru
New member | Level 2

saying it wont sync one folder [edited by moderator]saying it wont sync one folder [edited by moderator]

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: sync kees on pausing

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @joyjaru,

If you click the Dropbox icon, does the full error read "Can't sync [file name] File is in use"? If so, please save and close the file to see if this resolves the issue.

If, when you click the Dropbox icon, see that the error message states "Can't sync:<folder name>: this directory isn't empty”, then please try these steps below:

1. Locate the affected folder within your Dropbox folder.
  2. Move that folder outside of the Dropbox folder (for example, to your Desktop).
  3. Let the Dropbox application fully sync the change.
  4. Repeat as necessary for any additional folders that present this issue.
  5. Once the Dropbox app is “Up to date” then please move the folder back to the Dropbox folder.

Otherwise, please click on the Dropbox icon and send along a screenshot of the small window (excluding any personal info) so I can fully see the error shown.

Let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @joyjaru,

If you click the Dropbox icon, does the full error read "Can't sync [file name] File is in use"? If so, please save and close the file to see if this resolves the issue.

If, when you click the Dropbox icon, see that the error message states "Can't sync:<folder name>: this directory isn't empty”, then please try these steps below:

1. Locate the affected folder within your Dropbox folder.
  2. Move that folder outside of the Dropbox folder (for example, to your Desktop).
  3. Let the Dropbox application fully sync the change.
  4. Repeat as necessary for any additional folders that present this issue.
  5. Once the Dropbox app is “Up to date” then please move the folder back to the Dropbox folder.

Otherwise, please click on the Dropbox icon and send along a screenshot of the small window (excluding any personal info) so I can fully see the error shown.

Let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

pa77
New member | Level 2
The message I get is a e-mail was given access, but you signed in as another email address. It also states request access? How can I fix this?

Re: The desktop app shows an error "Can't sync", how can this be resolved?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi there @pa77; are you still having issues with this? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?