cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The favicons from my bookmarks are gone. Any ideas?

The favicons from my bookmarks are gone. Any ideas?

Piknockyou
Explorer | Level 4

01.PNG

Dear Dropbox-Team,

since today the favicons of my Dropbox bookmarks (shortcuts to Microsoft Office files) in my Chrome bookmark toolbar all changed to the standard Dropbox favicon (see image).

Why did this happen? That is such a pity. Can you please change it back for obvious reasons?

The differentiation is a way harder now.

I tried it on different computers and browsers. It seems you changed it.

Kind regards,

piknockyou

6 Replies 6

Re: The favicons from my bookmarks are gone. Any ideas?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Piknockyou; welcome to our Community!

Can you please check your account's default apps and let me know if you've set your Microsoft files to open in the relevant apps rather than in dropbox.com? 

That should do the trick so please give it a go and let me know the results. 

Thanks a bunch!

PS: You may need to re-open your MS files and bookmark them anew for this to take effect. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Piknockyou
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, the Microsoft apps were already set to default.

02.PNG

And I already tried re-saving the bookmarks, but as you can see from the tab alone, the favicon displayed is the dropbox symbol.

03.PNG

Kind regards.

Walter
Dropboxer

That's weird; I don't get the same results as you @Piknockyou.

Can you clear your browser's cache and/or try another browser (or even an incognito window) and let me know how it goes? 

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Piknockyou
Explorer | Level 4

I tried it on another PC on both cleared browsers Chrome (+ Incognito) and Firefox. Unfortunately, it did not help. The favicon for broswer-run Office files stays being the Dropbox icon. 😞

But I just had another try with the Dropbox account of someone else on their PC. Surprisingly their account shows the Office favicon - after I allowed Microsoft Office Online access to the files (for the first time).

So I thought maybe a "reset" of the >apps with access< might help in my case. That's why I went to my account settings over here

04.PNG

and deleted all 3 Office connections. After that I went back to the Word file to allow Microsoft Office Online access to the file again. Still Dropox icon ...

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Piknockyou, I just wanted to jump in here and mention that, after having a look around the web about this, I'd recommend getting in touch with the third party app devs or support, as they may have more info as to why this is happening. 

I understand that this might not be the ideal reply you were waiting for, but let us know if anything comes up or if you have any other questions. In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Piknockyou
Explorer | Level 4

Well, I wouldn't message Microsoft about this, because, as I mentioned earlier, I don't experience this problem with someone else's Dropbox account. And I just tried my second personal Dropbox account, which also works fine ...

So this must be my Dropbox account specific thing ...

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?