cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The file may have been changed by another user - Excel 2013

The file may have been changed by another user - Excel 2013

Steve H.79
New member | Level 1

Having a problem throughout the office and on many accounts (Personal and Business) since updating to the latest version of the DB client.

When opening and working on an Excel Document for more than a minute or two, when you go to save you the the message "The file name.xlsx may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do?" I can either Save a copy or Overwrite changes.

If I disable DropBox (so it is not active and syncing) we do not get any errors.

Issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks

33 Replies 33

Dave C.5
New member | Level 2

Are you talking Excel says this or the DB badge?
If its Excel, then you may have someone viewing the file with a version of excel that records VIEWING into the file.
If its the DB Badge, then the same but the badge is catching it.

Edmund B.
New member | Level 1

Dave C: This is something that Excel says, and not dropbox. This happens although none else but me is viewing the Excel file, and I'm only viewing it on my current computer. 

Although I believe this is rather a problem with Excel than with Dropbox (possibly a deliberate strategy to sabotage Dropbox?) I hope you can suggest any solutions. 

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Some A/V programs can cause this.

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 6

Getting the same problems since upgrading to excel 2013 on dropbox excel files. I dont get the problem on local files

Rick M.

Close all instances of Excel and see if that helps. Sometimes multiple runs hide.

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 6

We've checked for multiple copies of excel open but this doesnt seem to be the case. We have had it occur with a couple of users on excel files that they werent sharing with other users.

Think it must be something to do with changes being made by dropbox to the files between actual saves - maybe something to do with the new dropbox badge ?

Edmund B.
New member | Level 1

I should point out that I'm not using the Badge, since I found it rather annoying. So I don't think that the problem is caused by the Badge.

Rick M.

Have you turned off your A/V to see if that helps?  [The hypothetical scenario is (1) excel modifies file (2) A/V sees "change" and checks for virus (3) A/V modifies file by setting a bit that only it uses to indicate "i-checked-this-file" (4) DB sees the change!!!!!]

Edmund B.
New member | Level 1

What do you mean by A/V? I have turned off Autorecover, but the problem persists.

Need more support?