cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The file may have been changed by another user - Excel 2013

Re: The file may have been changed by another user - Excel 2013

Robert S.5
New member | Level 1

I had the same issue. I'm on Excel 365 and Windows 10. I was having to select "Overwrite changes" every time I saved the Excel file that was on Dropbox. I tested the same file on Microsoft OneDrive and had no problem. Then, when I went back to Dropbox the issue went away. I now assume the issue was due to a delay in syncing Dropbox.

Neil T.15
New member | Level 1

Something has changed because it's suddenly stopped happening on my Excel 365 on Windows 8. I'm guessing an update from someone has fixed the problem.

Neil T.15
New member | Level 1

Spoke too soon, this morning it has come back. 😞

Tracey T.2
New member | Level 2

I, too, have had this problem for at least 6 months. Win 7 64-bit, MS Office 2007, file saved on Dropbox. Moving a file out of Dropbox while working on it is no solution. Please, please fix this issue. It's damn annoying.

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Indeed. Dropbox-for-business solves this problem, so it is unlikely to be made available for Basic users.

Eddie H.6
New member | Level 1

Same here.  Windows 8.1 Pro.  Microsoft 2013 (via 365 subscription).  Exact same issue.

Some time in the next few weeks I'm going to upgrade to Windows 10.  If the problem persists after that I'll report to Dropbox (Pro subscription so hope to get a response...)

Has anyone else upgraded to Windows 10 but still has the issue?

Eddie H.6
New member | Level 1

Ah, just seen the earlier comment from "Robert S." who has the same issue on Windows 10.  I'll go ahead and report the issue to Dropbox now as no point in hoping Windows 10 will solve it then...

Jesper K.5
New member | Level 1

I have the exact same problem. I've been running Dropbox at my work computer for a few non-important files that I update frequently: notes, tasks, little stuff like that. Had Office 2007 until a few days ago when Office (and Excel) 2013 was installed.

I've covered all the usual @customer cover-my-hiney scenarios. Yes, it's the only excel.exe that's running. No, nothing new happened with my antivirus, it's the same. I tried to hide the dropbox icon. Bla bla bla.

It's volatile. Sat and typed "a" into a cell. Save. Deleted it. Saved. Did it a bunch of times. Most of the times I get the annoying dialogue, but at other times it does not appear. I bet dropbox is scanning the file, and somehow set a "someone else is viewing this" flag. For some reason Excel 2013 is more fine-grained than 2007 and then the prompt appears.

I really don't know whose issue it "really" is. But this is a fact: once I exit dropbox and it stops doing whatever it is it's doing the prompt appeared once and then never again. There's something about the scanning it does that makes Exel 2013 worried.

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

"nothing new happened with my antivirus" - Some A/V (like Kasperski) have been know to do stealthy updates. Disable anti-virus and test.

Dropbox only reads and never changes your files. However, many users have been confuzed by the website's "preview" files that are not the same as the original files.

Timo K.6
New member | Level 1

I had the same problem. The reason was F-Secure antivirus software. I excluded the dropbox folder in fsec and the problem disappeared.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

StationX New member | Level 2
    Dennis H.28 New member | Level 2
    Rocky R. New member | Level 1
    Eddie H.6 New member | Level 1
    Timo K.6 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?