cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The mobile app on my iPad doesn't show the most recently opened file lately. Any ideas?

The mobile app on my iPad doesn't show the most recently opened file lately. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

Since a recent update, DropBox no longer shows the most recent opened file on iPad and defaults to the root directory, meaning I have to navigate through the folder every time I open it. How can I restore the default of displaying the last viewed file automatically????

6 Replies 6

Re: The mobile app on my iPad doesn't show the most recently opened file lately. Any ideas?

Dropboxer

Hi @drriley - welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

Could you please send me a screenshot so I can have a visual of this too?

On a side note, do you see the 'Recents' tab at all when you open our mobile app on your iPad? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: The mobile app on my iPad doesn't show the most recently opened file lately. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

Problem NOT solved. Before the last update, the iPad app defaulted to the last opened directory and file. Since the last update, the iPad app defaults to the root directory with no file loaded. This is horribly inconvenient as it requires navigating through directories EVERY TIME THE APP IS OPENED, which may be dozens of times a day.

Using "Recent" is not helpful as a directory may have dozens of files and the left arrow takes you back to the "Recent," NOT of the directory of the file being reviewed.

I can think of no good reason for this change in the update. It is one more in a series of annoyances on top of the rental increase.

DropboxScreenshot.PNG

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @drriley; it definitely helps paint a better picture of the matter at hand. 

As I'm not getting the same results over here, could I have you reinstall the app on the affected iPad and let me know if you're seeing the same behavior?

If you do, I'll need to reach out to your Dropbox email address to work on this together with account and device specific information so also let me know if that would be OK with you. 

Thanks again! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion. I deleted the app, redownloaded, and reinstalled. The app still defaults to the root directory with no remembered file. I tried many combinations and scenarios with the same result. It is as if the app no longer writes its preference file. Using app version 170.2.2 (current) with iOS 13.3 (current) on an iPad Pro.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the speedy response and extra details @drriley!

I've just sent you an email (ticket) so we can investigate further.

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Talk to you soon 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

I just checked my iPhone as well. I seldom use the app there, but it used to default to the last used directory and last used file. It now also defaults to root directory and no remembered file. I suspect either the programmers forgot to check for prior directory/file or something has changed as a result of recent iOS upgrades/updates.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?