cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The number of times the office file was edited from dropbox

The number of times the office file was edited from dropbox

Sean Wu
Explorer | Level 3

Is there a limit on the number of times to edit MS Office files from Dropbox? My Dropbox version is PLUS, when I want to edit an Excel file, a message like the file appears.

0B3B64D8-F577-45AE-9FFB-A6C6F933BE08.jpg

7 Replies 7

Re: The number of times the office file was edited from dropbox

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Sean Wu; welcome to our Community!

From what I gather, you must be getting an error when trying to edit an Excel file through through our mobile app; correct me if I'm wrong please.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you please walk me through the exact steps you take and translate the exact error for me? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sean Wu
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Thank you for your reply. I did get an error when editing Excel. Here are the steps I did.

1.  Click the Excel from Dropbox APP.

2. Click Open.

3. Click Microsoft Excel 

4. Get the error message which means "Sign in to edit unlimited files, this is the last free editing session before login."

5. The green button means Ignore, red button means Login.

6. On the upper side, it shows "To edit and save, please log in with subscription."

Hopefully, it's clear to understand. Many thanks.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for your quick reply, Sean. 

As the relevant documentation outlines, you'll need an Office 365 subscription to edit Office files stored in Dropbox Basic, Plus, and Professional accounts.

The message you gets suggests that you'll need to sign up for a Microsoft account and sign in before you can edit your Excel files on your mobile device.

Whenever you get a chance, please give that a go and let me know the results. 

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sean Wu
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

But at the beginning, I can edit Office documents through Dropbox, but I can’t do that recently. Have I reached any limit and I need to subscribe to Office 365 to continue editing documents? Thank you.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Sean Wu!

There isn't a restriction on this from Dropbox, but this may have been a recent change from Microsoft as they require you to be signed in to use their apps usually.

Since you're using a personal Plus plan, you'll just need to sign into the app with any Microsoft account you have (eg. Hotmail or Outlook.com).

If you don't have one already, you can create a new one.

Hope this helps clarify the matter!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Sean Wu
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Please point out my mistake if I am wrong. According to the Dropbox policy, I can edit Excel from the Dropbox program, but Microsoft requires me to log in again to use the editing function. Does this mean that?
If I still cannot edit after logging in, is it still Microsoft’s problem? Many thanks.

Daphne
Dropboxer

That's right indeed @Sean Wu.

Dropbox is where you can store and sync your files across your devices, but you would need to use another app to edit your files.

In this case, you are opening and editing the file within the Microsoft apps, so you'll need to follow their requirements to be signed in with a Microsoft account to edit.

If you do have any trouble after creating or signing into a Microsoft account, I'd be happy to help out where I can!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?