cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fedora 32 - Failed to download metadata for repo 'Dropbox': Cannot download repomd.xml

There isn't a Linux repository for Fedora 32

tdias
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello everyone.

An RPM repo for Fedora 32 hasn't been created yet, which leads to errors every time I use my package manager.

Is Dropbox aware of this problem?

40 Replies 40

petasis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This "solution" has been written already many times. This is not a solution.

Richard E.7
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@XxBatfaIla7 wrote:

I was also facing this problem and few minutes ago I came into a solution. So here it is:

You need to edit your Dropbox.repo file.

Type this in your terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/dropbox.repo

and change 

baseurl=http://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/$releasever/

to

baseurl=http://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/31/

and that's it.

@XxBatfaIla7  Thanks for adding that but it has been suggested already.

While this will eliminate the error messages it will conceal any future updates that Dropbox makes in the future because it will "hardwire" the updates to ONLY look at the version for Fedora v31. 

If you use this, make certain to occasionally check the Fedora Dropbox repo at http://linux.dropbox.com/fedora  for newer versions.

user981376
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

After installing Dropbox on Fedora 32 and running the following command:

dnf update

I get this error:

Dropbox Repository                                                20 kB/s |  25 kB     00:01    
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'Dropbox':
  - Status code: 404 for http://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/32/repodata/repomd.xml (IP: 13.35.111.119)
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'Dropbox': Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried
Ignoring repositories: Dropbox

It seems that replacing "/32/" with "/31/" in the URL gives a valid XML response, so I imagine Dropbox doesn't have an updated repo for Fedora yet.

oscarcosta
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It seems that finally they updated the repository for Fedora 32. https://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/32/ its working now.

Thanks

Richard E.7
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Indeed, there is now a repository for Fedora 32.  But I'm curious to know if they have fixed their release process so we won't run into this again when Fedora 33 is released.

Dropbox, @Jay @Lusil can you let us know if there is really a long term solution in place for this, please?

~~R

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi again everyone, I'm glad to hear that this seems to be resolved for you now.

Although I can't put a specific time frame, if you run into any other issues or unexpected behaviors, we're always just a post away.

Thanks again!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Richard E.7
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Lusilyes, the issue is fixed for Fedora 32 but will it be fixed when Fedora 33 is released? Or will we have to note the error again, and bring it to you attention one more time.  Having worked in the software industry, I know this can be automated.  Have your release engineers corrected the release process or was this a one time fix?

Thanks for you attention, and thank your developers for a great product.

~~R

cmcinroy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Lusil,

The Fedora 32 repodata xml file still refers to the 2019.02.12 package version. Will there be an update that points to the newer (2020.03.04) version?

MichaelE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox Management, Development & Support,

Fedora 33 was released nearly a year ago, since then no one has created the symbolic link for release 33. Fedora 34 nearly 6 months ago. Your Fedora customers keep posting on here, despite all of the comments about it, Dropbox has done nothing. Please just create the symbolic links. It's hurting your further adoption into linux community. Maybe we can develop work arounds, but we shouldn't have to.

If you no longer want to support Fedora, How about Linux in general? Is Dropbox becoming a Windows/Mac only app/solution? If so, then state that, and those of us that use Dropbox with Linux, can move on to other solutions.  Do you want our money or is our revenue so insignificant it not worth your time to support even the littlest basic feature supporting Fedora repos? yes I know I can mod my own repos... I don't feel that we should have to do that.

You've spent time and energy, well at least 18 months ago you did, to deliver  nautilus-dropbox-2020.03.04-1.fedora.x86_64.rpm... and thank you for that... now go that one extra little step and create a symbolic link for 33, 34 and while your at it... 35, since you know its will be released soon, if not to much effort is required. We are not asking for new useless features. We are asking the minimalist amount of time & effort here. Ask one of the dropbox sys admins, I am sure they can do it.

You know if M$ keeps supporting more Linux solutions... just pondering out loud here....

Thank you for your time

-MichaelE

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @MichaelE, I hope you're doing well!

Keep in mind that you should be able to use Dropbox on Fedora 34.

However, you might need to make some tweaks like this user did.

If you need anything else, let us know.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?