cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There's a red indicator on the Dropbox icon in the system tray, what is this?

There's a red indicator on the Dropbox icon in the system tray, what is this?

Frank P E.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello ---  it  looks like there is a number one (1) in a red dot on the dropbox icon in the system tray  -- what is this and what does it mean?  Thanks 

20 Replies 20

Elixir
Super User

It could be a notification. Click the Dropobx icon > Go to Notifications tab > Mark it as read. 

2020-03-21 at 10.13 AM .png

Frank P E.
Helpful | Level 7

hello --- that for the info ---  I thought that was the case, but why would the indicator just appear on only one of my  computers? --- I have that one turned off now,  will check  it the next time I start it up ---- Thanks again 

sandeeppatil
Explorer | Level 4

I see a red indicator and my clicks on the icon don't work. Tried restarting as well. So I have no idea how to check notifications when nothing happens when I click on the icon (both clicks don't work)

cindy t.3
Collaborator | Level 9

I have the same problem. Big red box on the icon on my windows desktop. No number, just a red box. "Open dropbox in system tray doesn't work (don't know that it ever has) and I don't see anyway to figure out this is and if it's something I care about. Files seem to be syncing, but it's not like I've gone through every single file to see if it is there. HELP!!

sandeeppatil
Explorer | Level 4

Uninstalling and re-installing dropbox worked for me. Unfortunately, this is not a good solution. 

Having a free account with dropbox does not work anymore, you get zero support, unfortunately. I wish they had a affordable 100 GB plan. 

FlavioTorelli
New member | Level 2

In first of all sorry for my english and excuse me for a possible mistake. I'll write then also in italian, my language, hoping someone of you can understand me.

From about 5/7 days the dropbox icon appears with a little red "1". The "1" is over the icon. I'd look for, thinking it would be an error, something notice into my remote dropbox or in the dropbox website without find anything . What's is? Someone of you can help me? Thanks for the attention.

Da qualche giorno l'icona di dropobox appare con un "1" rosso. Ho cercato sia in locale che in remoto qualche notifica e/o indicazione senza trovare nulla. Qualcuno sa dirmi cosa è? Grazie per l'attenzione,

Flavio

Rich
Super User II

@FlavioTorelli wrote:
My desktop app shows a red 1 on its icon. What is this?

You have a notification. Single-click the icon to open the Dropbox window, then go to the Notifications tab.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey peeps, just jumping in here!

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the icon that you're referring to @cindy t.3?

Also, can you clarify what you're referring to when you say that the Dropbox icon in the system tray doesn't work? Does nothing open or do you not see the relevant info that you're looking for?

If you get this icon again @sandeeppatil, please do let me know and we can have a look into this further to see what we can do without needing to reinstall the desktop app.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cindy t.3
Collaborator | Level 9

@Daphne 

First slide is the red dot/box I'm seeing.

Second slide shows the open menu. The Open Dropbox in system tray" open nothing. 

View Sync issues tells me there are no issues. I'm not getting any error notices. 

As far as I can tell, everything is working fine. Dropbox is showing that files are synced and I haven't found any missing ones, not that I've checked every file in every folder. But having had an experience with Carbonite where it showed my files as backed up when they weren't (which resulted in losing 5T of data), I don't really trust little green checkmarks. 

Slide1.JPGSlide2.JPG

I do have a ticket created for this now as well.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jim H New member | Level 2
    Roger V. New member | Level 2
    cindy t.3 Collaborator | Level 9
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    mh1106 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?