cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There's a red indicator on the Dropbox icon in the system tray, what is this?

There's a red indicator on the Dropbox icon in the system tray, what is this?

Frank P E.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello ---  it  looks like there is a number one (1) in a red dot on the dropbox icon in the system tray  -- what is this and what does it mean?  Thanks 

20 Replies 20

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to me here @cindy t.3!

It looks like you're Ctrl+clicking the Dropbox icon, can you try left clicking the Dropbox icon and let me know if that brings up the correct window where you'll see your notifications etc?

Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cindy t.3
Collaborator | Level 9

@Daphne I control click because that is the only way to get anything to open. Left clicking does NOTHING. That's an old, old problem that I quit caring about because I could get to everything I need with a control left click

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for clarifying that @cindy t.3.

Since you mentioned reaching out to our Support team for this, can you let me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567)?

Also, which version of the app do you have installed at the moment?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cindy t.3
Collaborator | Level 9

@Daphne 

support id 11077996 

Dropbox v101.4.434 

It's probably an old version, but at one point several years ago Dropbox made a bunch of changes (to turn it into an app) that made it completely non-functional for what I needed on my system. It was weeks of trying to figure out a solution, with the end result being going back and tricking my computers into loading an old version that wasn't an app. I don't have time to go through hat again. 

cindy t.3
Collaborator | Level 9

@Daphne And, as usual, support has been useless thus far.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Since you're already in contact with the team, it would be best to continue there @cindy t.3 as they can look into this with you alongside some device specific info.

It looks like it would be a notification icon, however we would only be able to tell that from the window that should open when clicking the Dropbox icon (not the one you see when Ctrl+clicking).

Since you're not able to access this menu, I would suggest reinstalling the desktop app as it could be an underlying issue with you current installation due to the steps that you took previously when installing.

Also, just as a side note, you can disable the new Dropbox app interface and continue to just use it through the File Explorer with the steps listed here.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

mh1106
New member | Level 2

I had to click on the Dropbox icon in the tray, go to the Notifications tab, and even though the messages were marked as read I clicked on the More icon on the right side (3 dots) of each notification and dismissed each notification. That finally solved the problem for me to get rid of the red 1 to disappear from the Dropbox icon.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mh1106, thanks for letting us know what did the trick for you - awesome work with the troubleshooting!

If you have any other questions or thoughts for us in the future, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

cindy t.3
Collaborator | Level 9

Dang, I thought that might take care of it, but no. The red dot is still there.

Roger V.
New member | Level 2

Hey, I'm having the same issue here. Upgraded to the new app (now running 104.4.175) and my system tray icon has the red square with no number on it (https://imgur.com/3k0hzX4 ), and the tray icon does not respond at all to single right-click or single left-click. If I double-click it opens the app. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jim H New member | Level 2
    Roger V. New member | Level 2
    cindy t.3 Collaborator | Level 9
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    mh1106 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?