cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: This app is dangerous - put my file system in a twillight zone!

Highlighted

This app is dangerous - put my file system in a twillight zone!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

So all I wanted was to access some of my Dropbox folders in my explorer. So I installed the app, ticked off these folders - but before I knew it - the app started copying files accross in a much vider range. I paniced and disabled the app for a while - trying to get my head around it. After a little while I just got upset with the fact that the app had changed file PATHS of pretty much everything on my computer - so I of course uninstalled the app. 

Now I'm stuk with a file system that makes absolutely no sense. I guess pretty much anyone that know anything about file systems would agree after looking at this compilation image -->

problem.png

And everytime I try to save files from inside various software - the suggested path now starts with:

C:\Users\Jonas\Dropbox\My PC (Jonas2020)\Desktop\

... wich of course DOES NOT EXIST!

I'm beyond mad. I need some representative for the Dropbox app to Teamviewer into my computer and fix my paths as soon as friggin possible!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @jogyth, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

It looks like computer backup was enabled after all, which adds computer folders, like the ones you show in your screenshots, to your Dropbox folder. 

If you haven't already, could you reinstall the desktop app to turn the feature off and move the files back to their original locations?

You can find more info about it, here

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @jogyth, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

It looks like computer backup was enabled after all, which adds computer folders, like the ones you show in your screenshots, to your Dropbox folder. 

If you haven't already, could you reinstall the desktop app to turn the feature off and move the files back to their original locations?

You can find more info about it, here

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Yeah - that got it back to normal - after shifting som folders around. Not installing this app again though. My filesystem is holy. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?