cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: This folder already contains a Dropbox directory. (Dropbox 3.03 on Fedora 21 (x64)

This folder already contains a Dropbox directory. (Dropbox 3.03 on Fedora 21 (x64)

Nathanel T.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Is this some kind of a joke? I keep my dropbox folder on a separate partition to simply redirect the dropbox daemon to that location and not have to go through the whole download process all over again. Now, after a fresh install of Fedora 21, installing this new version of dropbox prevents me from pointing it to the previously installed location stating 'This folder already contains a Dropbox directory.'.... THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED NOW!

61 Replies 61

Marcelo R.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

George R., is there any workaround for that?

Tom A.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is crazy, I pay for this service and it wants me to resynch 500GB+ outrageous. It simply needs a link to existing Dropbox folder option how goddamn hard is that. An hour or so of my wasted time trying to fix this for nothing. No serious user keeps their DB folder on their boot drive so this is a massive issue for all your paying users upgrading to Win10.

Eddy Q.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Actually it is better if you  move your DropBox folder to a separate partition. That way if you have to restore your boot drive then you have not lost your DropBox folder.

Georgi G.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same problems before, but seems like the latest dropbox (3.2?) fixed the issue? After I changed my main hard drive to SSD 2 weeks ago and reinstalled all programs, I directed dropbox to its old location (on a separate HDD), and it seemed to have no issues. It took a while to sync, though - but I think it didn't download the files, just checked and synched. Took around an hour, I think.

andrei t.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

it is horrible. what's worse is that it allowed you to select an existing dropbox folder on windows7 and it doesn't work on win 8.1

Robin W.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem. Can't believe there's no solution. I signed up for Dropbox because I thought it would be more convenient but it's turning into an even bigger headache than just carrying an external drive with me. Canceling my account.

Jim E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I cloned a failing HDD to a new SSD (non-boot either one).

I went to re-direct my personal and work dropboxes to the cloned directories on the new drive (it received a new open drive letter and I am fine with that). 

It tells me there already exists another dropbox folder. YES, of COURSE it does! It's the one I want you to run a file check on and find out that everything is already sync'd!!!

Any traction on this issue please? Any registry key I can simple edit the drive letter on?

Etienne J.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here. Looks like you ppl at Dropbox still haven't figured that one out since 2014. I'm not impressed. I purchased Dropbox business for my team. Maybe it's time I look somewhere else?

Andrei T.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

How haven't you not figure this out yet? This is outrageous and unacceptable. I used to love Dropbox.

Carlos1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem... I reinstalled Windows. Now I have to redownload everything and put it in another folder even though I already have a 100% synched folder on another partition... Now I have E:\Dropbox\Dropbox.... Downloading thousands of files...

Need more support?