cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This folder already contains a Dropbox directory. (Dropbox 3.03 on Fedora 21 (x64)

This folder already contains a Dropbox directory. (Dropbox 3.03 on Fedora 21 (x64)

Nathanel T.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Is this some kind of a joke? I keep my dropbox folder on a separate partition to simply redirect the dropbox daemon to that location and not have to go through the whole download process all over again. Now, after a fresh install of Fedora 21, installing this new version of dropbox prevents me from pointing it to the previously installed location stating 'This folder already contains a Dropbox directory.'.... THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED NOW!

61 Replies 61

Peter D.19
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue. Cannot merge the old dropbox folder with the new old. The method of copying the old into new doesn't work as well. It duplicates the 2 folders and said "Selective Sync Conflict". I'm going to download the old version of Dropbox that allows me to merge.

John L.2
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the report.  It sounds like your problem is that you have told Dropbox to not sync any of those folders before copying in the folders from the old location.  If you like, you can try the following:

Uninstall Dropbox.

Install Dropbox.

Make sure that Dropbox is set to sync all of your folders in selective sync settings (the folders should start being downloaded).

Quit Dropbox.

Copy in the files from the old location.

Restart Dropbox.

That should help you 'merge' in the files from the old location.  The 'Selective Sync Conflict' folders are created when Dropbox is told not to sync certain folders but then files appear at those locations.

--John

Georgi G.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

the same problem - reformatted C drive (I have dropbox folder on a separate HD), reinstalled windows and tried rienstalling dropbox and directing it to the previous folder (I do not want to sync 20gb worth of data). New version tels me that there is already a dropbox foleder there, and refuses to sync. I tried the older version which I have, and which did work well in similar situation before, but now I am getting the message that this is an older version and I need to download the new one, and that's after the program has already been installed!

If there is no solution, then I guess I should cancel my paid dropbox account and try some other option for cloud storage

any help?

Afdhal T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My local Dropbox folder is in separated partition (non OS).

I just recently change to different OS and I can't make my Dropbox to be synced with the folder. It gives me "This folder already contains a Dropbox directory." error.

Making new folder is not practical as my current account has large files in it.

Any workaround?

George R.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

So dropbox where is your reply?  Too hard?

Eddy Q.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a similar problem. I'm using Windows 10. In my case I had Dropbox on my 2nd partition (W:) but reloaded my system from a backup (C:). Then installed the latest Dropbox (3.16.1). Then renamed W:\Dropbox to W:\Dropbox.old. Then tried to Move C:\Users\me\Dropbox to W:\Dropbox but it says "This folder already contains a Dropbox directory" ... but it doesn't. So I went into Dropbox.old and deleted desktop.ini figuring that is how it "knew". But that didn't help. So I renamed Dropbox.old to old.old ... same error. I don't have enough room on my system to Dropbox.old to the recycle bin and I don't want to delete the content.

Does anyone know what I should try next?

Eugene P.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Similar - if same - problem. New installation of Windows 10 on primary partition/drive.  Secondary drive/partition is where both my personal and work dropbox files are. Installed Dropbox.  Couldn't select folder on different partition so decided to selectively sync nothing for now and change in settings later on.  Linked to work dropbox account.  Changed work dropbox folder to one on secondary.  When I tried to do the same for my personal, it gave me the error that there's a dropbox folder already.  I tried turning off select sync, I tried unlinked and relinking account - to no avail.  In the end, I just decided to resync everything.  Rather inconvenient given how much I had to sync... this must be fixed.

Robert V.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same here. Windows 10. I had to uninstall Dropbox. Reinstalled, and now I can't point it to use my existing files, for the reason others have listed here.

This worked in previous versions. I'm in a hotel with a very slow internet conection, and do not have time to re-sync 180Gb of files.

Marcelo R.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just had the same issue. My Dropbox folder is located in an external USB Hard Drive, I bought a new Notebook, installed the Dropbox app but could not sync the folders because it says "This folder already contains a Dropbox".

Do you know whether there is a solution for tha or not? If not I'm gonna cancel immediately my subscription.

George R.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

There's no solution.  None of the competitors have a solution either.  Amazing!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Patrick L.7 New member | Level 1
    Proteome S. New member | Level 1
    Alastair D. New member | Level 1
    Carlos1 New member | Level 1
    Andrei T.4 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?