cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Time Left in Sync has been removed from the desktop app

Time Left in Sync has been removed from the desktop app

mcfinney
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The dropbox menu bar app has stopped showing the time left in the current sync in the bottom of the window. It shows a seemingly irrelevant progress bar but even hovering over that does not tell me the time left to sync, which I have depended on to let clients know when files will be there. Hovering over only gives me the option to pause syncing. Was this feature removed or is this a bug in the latest update?

I'm on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

223 Replies 223

ElJayBronxNY
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just discovered the serious downside to Sync, though, and have canceled my account and am back here. 

I uploaded an 11GB file of an opera (COSI FAN TUTTE) that I made in 4K. I sent the link to two customers that had paid me for the download.

I noticed multiple download attempts (they dutifully will notify you every time someone gets the file, a nice touch but...) one of my customers finally got the file after several attempts and the other kept getting it little by little. 

I contacted their CS and was told that downloads of very large files "might not" be very reliable! The exception is sharing them from a "team folder", for which everyone drawing the files would need a free membership. I'M NOT PUTTING MY CUSTOMERS THROUGH THAT!!! Many would bail. 

For me, Sync is effectively useless. I really hope Dropbox gets its CS act together and realizes it's got a very good thing here and not to blow it by treating us like something other than faithful, paying customers.

To their credit, Sync gave me my money back in an immediate refund to PayPal. I wish they would have been more forthcoming with the drawbacks of their service before people join!

Keeks
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is there a date for the update? Also there is a problem with the upload speeds, they are slow and unreliable, if you upload a lot of files it becomes extremly slow at the end. I found that restarting the app speeds things up for a while. 

fcmiii
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For one glorious upload today, the time remaining feature was back. But everything since then has had it missing. Hopefully this means it's actively in the process of being fixed. Not holding my breath, though.

pepe1967
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It's the 10th of May and I'm still waiting for this feature to be restored.

I'm a freelance news camera operator trying to upload a 16GB rushes package for today's broadcasts and the media manager wants to know when they'll get the package... hey Dropbox what do I tell them????

Dropbox, you're costing me my reputation & livelyhood, get this sorted now!!

lisaiannarino
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Seems like now theres not even a progress bar.... just says "syncing...."

needs to be fixed already.....

SBEditor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Jay, 

Was this fixed? It would certainly be helpful to have this function reinstated so that we can keep clients informed of the ETA of uploads when delivering via dropbox. 

Seounghyun97
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Today is May 10th 2019. Still not fixed. Unbelievable. What are you guys even doing? Simplest and biggest update you guys must change. Please do something about it. Extremely frustrated..

ripchord
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

There's another thread about the Time Left To Sync function being removed a few months ago. Tons of comments demanding it back.

Dropbox replied that they intentionally removed it (no idea why you would remove such a handy feature), then replied again stating it would be added back in with a coming update.

However, the 'coming update' doesn't have a date and it's been some time ago; now they don't even reply to additional comments on the thread asking for a time frame.

I'm curious, doesn't this annoy ALL Dropbox users? I mean, who doesn't want to know when your upload will complete? As it stands, it just says "Syncing..." and you have no idea when it will complete.

I use DB to share video files with clients but I realize people likely use a service in many different ways, so I'm wondering if the majority of their users don't really care how long it takes because their files are small?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @ripchord,

Just to note I’ve merged your post to the relevant thread so you will be notified with any updates easily here. We’ll be sure to update here as soon as we have confirmed the relevant info as we wouldn’t want to give any incorrect info for you all!

We appreciate your time in letting us know your thoughts so we’ll make sure to reciprocate this by updating here as soon as we have that info - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jbh1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

For anyone who is losing sleep/money over this, a temporary solution is to do a bit of quick math (the upload speed is still displayed). For example, if I am syncing 1 GB of data and the average upload speed is 100KB/sec, it will take approx 2h45m to complete. Obviously not a fix, but it'll cut the mustard until the ETA is returned. 

Need more support?