cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about how Kev uses Dropbox to make sure he keeps track of all the new music he listens to? Check out his tips here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tray icon not responding linux mint 17.3

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

Kenneth, the old sudo workaround worked for the Dropbox tray icon bug on Linux, but it is not advisable because it uses root and needs file ownership recoveries, as described at the above link.

Currently, the newest and best workaround, without those permission problems, is the dbus-launch workaround (faster and more reliable than the previous DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS one):

dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

Kenneth, in summary, if you used the old deprecated sudo workaround, with some files and folders getting owned by root, the needed file ownership recoveries are done by applying just one time the following, as explained at the previously mentioned link:

sudo dropbox stop
sudo chown -R USER:GROUP /home/USER/Dropbox
sudo chown -R USER:GROUP /home/USER/.dropbox
sudo chown -R USER:GROUP /home/USER/.dbus
dropbox start

Of course, replacing USER and GROUP. For example, you can see the good ones with a file manager such as Dolphin, etc. In your case, it can be something similar to:

sudo dropbox stop
sudo chown -R kenneth:kenneth /home/kenneth/Dropbox
sudo chown -R kenneth:kenneth /home/kenneth/.dropbox
sudo chown -R kenneth:kenneth /home/kenneth/.dbus
dropbox start

And then recover again the tray icon for normal user with:

Kenneth B.14
New member | Level 2

Muchas gracias to Juan for following this problem through to a successfull workaround. I hope Dropbox will fix it in a new update, but am not holding my breath.

Leona A.
New member | Level 1

I have multiple accounts, the for which I use a script from 

http://www.dropboxwiki.com/tips-and-tricks/run-multiple-instances-of-dropbox-simultaneously-on-linux...

I've tried the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="  fix, this works for one account but not the other. 😞

Any ideas?

Leona

Warwick G.1
New member | Level 2

Following the helpful workarounds suggested,
I did the following to make it permanent in LinuxMint 17.3:

First we need a responsive dropbox icon:
Open terminal and type in "dropbox stop"
Verify that the icon has disappeared.
Type "dbus-launch dropbox start" into the terminal.

Close the terminal.
Click on the dropbox icon, click on "Preferences", uncheck the "Start Dropbox on startup", click on "OK" then restart the computer.

Click on the Linuxmint "Menu", "Preferences", "Startup Applications", "Add", "Custom command", type "Dropbox" into the "Name" box and type "dbus-launch dropbox start" into the "Command" box.
Click on "Add", close all windows and restart the computer.

file c.
New member | Level 2

I have modified the script to put into startup applications to prevent upset it means that:
- Disables autostart (returning stops (the one that dbus

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=it&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.istitutomajorana.it/forum2/Thread-RISOLTO-Problema-con-Dropbox-su-UbuntuMate-14-04-2%25C2%25B0-account&usg=ALkJrhhLIYLdaPINiR6VwxWimeztuhKZrA

http://www.istitutomajorana.it/forum2/Thread-Problema-icona-Dropbox-su-statusbar?pid=84977#pid84977

Louis B.6
New member | Level 1

The previous post worked for me on Linux Mint 18 BETA Cinnamon. Thanks!

Felipe T.2
New member | Level 1
Juan M. G. February 14, 2016 13:26

[Update: Although this sudo workaround worked, it is not convenient because it uses root and needs file ownership recoveries later; it's advisable to use another workaround without root instead, such as the excellent dbus-launch workaround]

It's possible that the following will also work for this bug: A command line workaround for a similar bug these days (no Dropbox icon on Linux Mint system tray), to try until these Dropbox icon bugs get fixed.

dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start

Thank you Juan.. worked like a charm

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

Felipe, as explained in the text you just quoted, that old sudo workaround is not recommended, because it needs file ownership recoveries (from root back to normal user), as I explained to Kenneth (March 8 post).

As said, the best workaround, which works well for normal user during the current session, is now:

Robert H.73
New member | Level 2

Errr--why hasn't Dropbox fixed this bug AFTER ONLY 5 MONTHS?

Just deleted it from my new Mint 17.3 install.  If they can't be bothered, neither can I.

Need more support?