cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Tray icon not responding linux mint 17.3

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have three Linux Mint 17.3 computers - all three display the same fault.

Dropbox synchronises OK and the the small "tick" in the icon changes from red to green as appropriate. But for about the last week, I can no longer open the Tray icon to change preferences or monitor progress. I assume that there has been an update and thought to let you know. One of the computers was a fresh installation yesterday, the others have been reliable for years (even after the upgrade from Linux Mint 17.2 to Linux Mint 17.3).

33 Replies 33
Highlighted

Re: Tray icon not responding linux mint 17.3

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I've the same problem

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I also have the same problem. I believe it started happening as of the automatic 3.14.5 update.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I also have the same problem... I just installed 17.3 and Dropbox from the mint official repository and the tray icon became non responsive. I was about to download it from the Dropbox page...anybody knows if it works?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

[Update: Although this sudo workaround worked, it is NOT convenient because it uses root and needs file ownership recoveries later; it's advisable to use another workaround without root instead, such as the excellent dbus-launch workaround]

It's possible that the following will also work for this bug: A command line workaround for a similar bug these days (no Dropbox icon on Linux Mint system tray), to try until these Dropbox icon bugs get fixed.

dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start
Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Tks @Juan. That worked!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

err... after that... it became unstable (i.e. crashed) when I used the selective sync feature... I think I'll wait for the fix :(

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Mm... odd, sorry. It works fine with no crashes for me and others.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1
dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start
it works with kde 4.13.3 but without sudo no icon.
i used the deb installer from the site not the dropbox-nautilus from repositories.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

When using the "dropbox" package installed with the Software Manager (Linux Mint KDE), that temporary workaround works also here.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?