cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tray icon not responding linux mint 17.3

Tray icon not responding linux mint 17.3

Warwick G.1
New member | Level 2

I have three Linux Mint 17.3 computers - all three display the same fault.

Dropbox synchronises OK and the the small "tick" in the icon changes from red to green as appropriate. But for about the last week, I can no longer open the Tray icon to change preferences or monitor progress. I assume that there has been an update and thought to let you know. One of the computers was a fresh installation yesterday, the others have been reliable for years (even after the upgrade from Linux Mint 17.2 to Linux Mint 17.3).

33 Replies 33

Re: Tray icon not responding linux mint 17.3

J D.9
New member | Level 1

I've the same problem

Ryan G.
New member | Level 1

I also have the same problem. I believe it started happening as of the automatic 3.14.5 update.

Marcelo F.4
New member | Level 1

I also have the same problem... I just installed 17.3 and Dropbox from the mint official repository and the tray icon became non responsive. I was about to download it from the Dropbox page...anybody knows if it works?

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

[Update: Although this sudo workaround worked, it is NOT convenient because it uses root and needs file ownership recoveries later; it's advisable to use another workaround without root instead, such as the excellent dbus-launch workaround]

It's possible that the following will also work for this bug: A command line workaround for a similar bug these days (no Dropbox icon on Linux Mint system tray), to try until these Dropbox icon bugs get fixed.

dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start

Marcelo F.4
New member | Level 1

Tks @Juan. That worked!

Marcelo F.4
New member | Level 1

err... after that... it became unstable (i.e. crashed) when I used the selective sync feature... I think I'll wait for the fix 😞

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

Mm... odd, sorry. It works fine with no crashes for me and others.

slim c.1
New member | Level 1
dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start
it works with kde 4.13.3 but without sudo no icon.
i used the deb installer from the site not the dropbox-nautilus from repositories.

Juan M. G.
New member | Level 1

When using the "dropbox" package installed with the Software Manager (Linux Mint KDE), that temporary workaround works also here.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

richardpratt Explorer | Level 3
    Kout New member | Level 2
    adahl New member | Level 2
    Saidul H. New member | Level 1
    Robert H.73 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?