cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble uploading from Microsoft (from iPad Pro)

Trouble uploading from Microsoft (from iPad Pro)

Mcmatt012
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there, 

I've been having trouble saving Microsoft Office files to Dropbox.  I'm using a 2020 iPad Pro, whereas previously, I've had no problems using my PC.  I constantlly get an error message, telling me not to use any "prohibited characters" (such as a slash or asterix) in my file names.  I would like, however, to include periods and dashes in my file name, which produce the error message, but I didn't think these sympbols were problematic.  The problem seems to go away when I save a file using letters only, but I would like a way to be able to use at least some "special characters" (i.e. non-letter-characters) to better organize my files. 

Thanks for your time and consideration, 

-Matt

5 Replies 5

Re: Trouble uploading from Microsoft (from iPad Pro)

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @Mcmatt012, I hope you're well today!

Would you mind clarifying for me where you're getting the error from? It sounds like this might be coming from the Word app.

If that's the case, then this is a limitation of Word rather than Dropbox and not something that I could suggest a work around for I'm afraid.

If you were to change the file name after uploading to Dropbox then you may have trouble opening the file again in Word due to the character restrictions.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mcmatt012
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply, Daphe.  

The error message pops up within the Word app.  I contacted Microsoft and outlined the issue.  They concluded that it was a Dropbox issue after asking me to upload the same file (with dashes and periods in the file name) to their OneDrive location - which worked.  

Hope that clarifies things, 

-Matt

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Mcmatt012!

You can save files within Dropbox regardless of the characters used within the file names, so it's a rather strange error.

I wasn't able to replicate the error myself when testing this out on my side using a file name containing "-" and ".".  Can you send me a screenshot of the error message?

Also, please let me know which version of the Dropbox mobile app and OS version your iPad is running.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mcmatt012
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, 

I'm using a 4th gen iPad Pro (2020), which runs on the latest iPadOS.  

I'm currently subscibed to Dropbox Plus, and I purchased the subscription about a year ago.  

Attached is a photo of the error message I'm receiving...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ss6gw3tnzg6upm/Photo%20of%20Error%20Message.jpg?dl=0 

Thanks, 

-Matt

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @Mcmatt012.

From what I can find, this appears to be a preventative error from the Word app. I was able to find this thread here which might be of some help.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?