cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Accessing Excel Options and Conflicted Copies

Trouble with Accessing Excel Options and Conflicted Copies

alexander18
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have two problems listed below. If anyone would be able to kindly give some advice, that would be great. 

1) I am managing a sheet of credentials which involves putting email addresses in excel. While on the actual excel sheet I am able to go into autocorrect options to stop the software from automatically creating hyperlinks, this option is not available and is not syncing on the Excel web version when I open up the file in Dropbox.

Quite literally, I am unable to access the options while on the Excel web version in Dropbox. I am new to Dropbox - is there anyway to get around this? For some reason, I am also unable to bold specific words and can only bold entire cells. This is specific to the Excel web version on Dropbox as well.

2) For conflicted copies, I realize that it is not recommended to use database files for this specific reason. My team has been making a lot of conflicted copies. Is there anyway to further encourage collaboration for a small team of accountants, especially in an Excel file that can't be broken up? Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know what you all think, thanks so much!

3 Replies 3

Re: Trouble with Accessing Excel Options and Conflicted Copies

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @alexander18, thanks for reaching out to us here!

There are some differences in the options available in your local Microsoft apps and the Online apps. It may be that this feature is not available in the Online version of these apps.

Could you clarify for me what you mean when you say that you're unable to access these options? Are you able to see them, but not open them? Or perhaps you're not able to see the option at all?

For the conflicted copies that are being created, perhaps you could use file locking to prevent the file being opened by multiple people. You can check out more about this here.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

alexander18
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

My apologies for taking so long to reply.

For the options that I am unable to access, I can see them but am unable to open them. For example, data validation in excel, or trying to "bold" specific words in a table. It's problems like these that make the web dropbox-excel version so difficult to use. Is Dropbox unable to support these features, or are these features enabled in a version that requires a larger subscription?

I have tried working with this sheet in Excel-web with Dropbox but, like I said, it can get pretty clunky. I hope that I'm in the wrong as I'd like to keep on using Dropbox.

For the conflicted copies, that's a good suggestion. I think I'll just have myself use the file for now.

Thanks Daphne. Let me know what you think!

Daphne
Dropboxer

No problem at all @alexander18!

For any restrictions of features not being available in the Online version, it would be a limitation in the Microsoft Online app itself rather than through Dropbox.

However, you simply wouldn't see these options available to you. Also, for the examples you gave it seems that I was able to use these through the Excel Online app.

While the features aren't available based on your Dropbox plan, I did test this on a Basic account too just to be sure.

Can you let me know if using an incognito window helps at all? How about using another web browser?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?