cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to delete Dropbox from mac

Trying to delete Dropbox from mac

Alain C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am trying to delete Dropbox from my Mac but theres a message saying "The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because some of its plugins are in use." I don't know what to do.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lisa S.70
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same problem and even after multiple restarts, I couldn't delete the app. What finally worked was right-clicking on the app and selecting "Show Package Contents." I then selected and deleted all of the files listed, including a Plug-ins folder. After I emptied the trash, I clicked on the app again and selected "Move to Trash." It worked perfectly and I was able to remove it and empty the trash again. I hope that helps someone stuck in the same situation. 

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Follow the instructions at https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/41 to uninstall Dropbox from your computer.

April S.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Robert S.,

The instructions at help/41 do not address the error message: The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because some of its plugins are in use.

Following the basic directions still results in the same error message.  Are you saying we need to follow the 'For our advanced users' directions?

April S.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I followed the advanced directions for uninstalling the Dropbox contextual menu, and for removing Dropbox application settings - this all worked as expected.  However, after this - when trying to drag/drop the actual Dropbox icon program from the Applications folder to the Trash folder - the same error message results.

Guidance appreciated,

Eric W.18
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Im having the same issue.. Any ideas?

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Open the Dropbox app and under its setting uncheck enable Finder integration. Then quit the app and try to drag it to the trash.

I cannot say for certain this will work but a few users have reported they had success with this route.

* I would also uncheck "Start Dropbox on system startup", doing this will allow you to log out and back in if the initial uninstall attempt above doesn't work. After the log out and in, you should be able to remove the app with no issue. 

Nathalie H.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi, thanks for the tips, I am having the same problem. Robert, that did not do the trick either. Do you have any other suggestions perhaps? Thanks!

Cindy S.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem -- The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because some of its extensions are in use.

Lisa S.70
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same problem and even after multiple restarts, I couldn't delete the app. What finally worked was right-clicking on the app and selecting "Show Package Contents." I then selected and deleted all of the files listed, including a Plug-ins folder. After I emptied the trash, I clicked on the app again and selected "Move to Trash." It worked perfectly and I was able to remove it and empty the trash again. I hope that helps someone stuck in the same situation. 

Sal G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you Lisa S. That finally did the trick for me 🙂

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Recce60 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    jtokarski_vh Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?