cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Turn Off Recent Files Feature

Turn Off Recent Files Feature

Lorenzo C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I don't like the recent files to be shown.  Can I turn off the feature or at least clear the files so they don't show up?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

Thanks for keeping sending your thoughts and thanks for summarizing it Alexis. 

You have the ability to switch off recents from your https://www.dropbox.com/account page. That currently works for web only and not mobile.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

44 Replies 44

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It can't be disabled and there's no way to clear the list. If you don't want to see it anymore, create a bookmark for the Files page and use it to enter the site. You'll bypass the Recents page that way.

Christopher O.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hey Lorenzo,

Do you want to clear the Recents list because you don't want others to see? Or is it because you don't find files there that are of use to you? 

Thanks for helping us understand why. 

Marco P.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I personally don't mind the Recents page, I actually like it. But we definitely need a way to filter out unimportant files, perhaps by extension or by using a list of folders to ignore. As you can see from the screenshot below, I use Dropbox to store some apps preferences (TextExpander, 1Password, etc) and their config files show up in the Recents page.

Like most people, I'd like to use the Recents page to access my latest PDFs, images, doc files, and so on; not application assets.

></p>

Christopher O.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Marco- thanks for the response and screenshot. We're working on filtering out those junk files better. Will have an update soon.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

We're working on filtering out those junk files better.

This is one issue I always seem to have with Dropbox. What would be a junk file to one person may be an important file to me. Don't decide what is or isn't junk for us. Instead, give us the ability to filter the results ourselves. Stop assuming that you know what's best for us and please give us some control over our own user experience.

Marco P.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

"This is one issue I always seem to have with Dropbox. What would be a junk file to one person may be an important file to me. Don't decide what is or isn't junk for us. Instead, give us the ability to filter the results ourselves."

A bit harsh, but I agree. Lots of developers or advanced users might want to have rapid access to those types of file. Personally, I think the best way to solve this would be to filter out those files by default since most people won't need them, but at the same time have a whitelist option where we can add specific folders or file extensions that the filter should ignore.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It was intended as harsh because the same argument has been made (by others as well) on the forums many times over the last couple of years. We like the changes that Dropbox gives us, but we want more control over them. Don't just assume that I want to start on the Recents page when I log in (I don't!) and allow us to set the default page. Don't assume the important files types are the same for everyone. Things like that.

Rob P.16
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Christopher I'd rather have the option of hiding / disabling the "Recent Files" option all together as it's not useful, is a potential security issue for those who use Dropbox for business, and it takes up the most important bit of real estate where it currently is.

Dominik P.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

There should be a feature just like in Carousel where you can hide specific folder. Also add specfic file types and that issue would be resolved for everybody !

Need more support?