cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Turn Off Recent Files Feature

Turn Off Recent Files Feature

Lorenzo C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I don't like the recent files to be shown.  Can I turn off the feature or at least clear the files so they don't show up?

44 Replies 44

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

It's clear users want some options related with Recent List

1- a button to clear the recent list

2- a button to disable recent list

3- a configuration options where users can filter recent lists

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

Thanks for keeping sending your thoughts and thanks for summarizing it Alexis. 

You have the ability to switch off recents from your https://www.dropbox.com/account page. That currently works for web only and not mobile.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

That currently works for web only and not mobile.

To add to what Ed posted...

This thread is referring to the Recents page on the Dropbox website; not the mobile clients. For further discussion about Recents on the mobile clients, please refer to the following thread:

Shannon B.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Rick R

This problem is with both, but ESPECIALLY with mobile. The referenced thread is about Apple apps, but I will reiterate my comment there as well.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It started as an Apple thread but quickly moved to cover all mobile apps. It's the largest and most appropriate thread on Recents in the mobile apps so it's the one we've been redirecting everyone to use. Doesn't make sense to have a separate post for each mobile app.

On the website, which this thread covers, you can already disable the default display of the Recents list so it's no longer as big of an issue as it remains on the mobile clients.

For the record, I'm in COMPLETE agreement regarding the feature on both the web and mobile apps and have been pretty vocal about it in the past. I'm just trying to keep everything organized here.

shyne
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

1. I don't like the fact that the defult page is "recent files", which wouldn't be so bad if it maybe showed folders instead of thumbnails of actual files. 

2. The "recent files" list seems really long, it shows files I looked at, new folders, any activity basically is on the list, files I feel like I dealt with weeks ago still show, when you scroll down it's seems limitless. 

3. Is this a feature that is not being fixed because most user's are not paid customers? 

4. I notice on the forum anybody remotely connected to DB only replies to tell people to direct them related post. Or they simply say "no" the issue can't be fixed, but never to give answers to help. 

5. It's a big glitch, let's be honest people use these things to hide pictures too, so to have those same pictures be the exact thing to pop up first is ridiculous. 

6. Everyone notices that Dropbox is not really addressing these concerns, and are seemingly not worried about fixing the concerns. 

I ask does the lack of concern from Dropbox  come from users not being subscribers? Or like another poster asked, is it because the app is automatically downloaded on some devices, giving you more users.?

8. This issue occurs on both the computer and cell phone app.

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

I don't like the fact that the default page is "recent files"

Recent files can be turned off for Dropbox Webpage on Dropbox Settings in https://www.dropbox.com/account

></p>
<p><em><strong>Is this a feature that is not being fixed because most user's are not paid customers? </strong></em></p>
<p>This has been fixed for the DB website. For smartphones and Desktop client there is no current settings to customize it. But this is not related with the service being free for users. The setting is not available yet, no matter if you have Dropbox Free or Pro.</p>
<p><em><strong>I notice on the forum anybody remotely connected to DB only replies to tell people to direct them related post. Or they simply say

This is a user supported forum. You can open a ticket with DB if you want to report an issue or a new feature request. But we all want more customization for this settings and maybe this can be done in future releases.

It's a big glitch, let's be honest people use these things to hide pictures too, so to have those same pictures be the exact thing to pop up first is ridiculous. 

Most users found the recent files feature a benefit instead of a problem. If you plan to hide new items for whatever reason, there is a workaround: Disable icon notifications in your desktop and create a shortcut to access the Dropbox folder in your desktop. In this way, visitors in your office will never see new items in the recent list. Remember you can disable recent list in the website.

></p>
<p><em><strong>Everyone notices that Dropbox is not really addressing these concerns, and are seemingly not worried about fixing the concerns. </strong></em></p>
<p>Dropbox Developers are always working on improving the app. Dropbox is one of the best cloud sync apps for your PC, MAC or smartphone. It's even integrated in several NAS devices! Dropbox is one of the fewest apps I'm happy to pay every year and has changed the way I works!</p>
<p><em><strong>I ask does the lack of concern from Dropbox  come from users not being subscribers? Or like another poster asked, is it because the app is automatically downloaded on some devices, giving you more users.?</strong></em></p>
<p>Normally when users see the full potential of Dropbox, they normally purchase a Pro version. I do that and never regret it.</p>
<p><strong>This issue occurs on both the computer and cell phone app.</strong></p>
<p>For the PC I already told you above how to hide it, not a fix, a workaround. For your smartphone or tablet you can setup a PIN, I think.</p>

Keith N.8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I hated this the moment I saw it, and I've only just found time to look on here. I notice that the few comments from DB staff/superusers either ignore mobile apps, or say that most people like the recent files feature. Huh? If that's so, why has everyone here (with one possible exception) absolutely slated it?

I've just been through this thread upvoting all the comments that hate the feature - just in case it makes any difference! Why is there not a button to downvote the comments from the DB folks?

So, when do we get a solution? In the meantime, I've stopped using Dropbox for most of my files. If the fix (i.e. the ability to select the open recent files by default) doesn't come soon, I'll be looking at an alternative. Pity, I've always liked Dropbox, and recommended it to others who use different apps. I was looking into Dropbox for business for my small company, but that's off the radar now.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Keith,

No one is ignoring the mobile apps. As I've already stated twice in this thread, which you've been through while up-voting, this thread is discussing the Recents tab on the website, which can already be disabled as default. I also posted a link to the thread discussing the mobile clients. I'll post it here again for you.

This thread is referring to the Recents page on the Dropbox website; not the mobile clients. For further discussion about Recents on the mobile clients, please refer to the following thread:

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

"Recents" ONLY seems to come up if I goto  www.dropbox.com

not if one goes to www.dropbox.com/home

Need more support?