cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Off Recent Files Feature

Turn Off Recent Files Feature

Lorenzo C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I don't like the recent files to be shown.  Can I turn off the feature or at least clear the files so they don't show up?

44 Replies 44

noella v.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My 2 cents about the recent folder  is that it takes way too long for DropBox to load open now. It slows down my productivity and I am for the first time cursing the login. I also don't want others to see files that have been recently loaded.  I look forward to this being an option rather than the default.

Scott T.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Is there really no way to turn Recents off? That's an elementary design error.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Is there really no way to turn Recents off? 

No, there isn't. Bookmark the Files page and use that to enter the site.

It looks like Dropbox might be changing that (it's already not the default for some people and mine has changed as well, though I was part of the beta). Give it some time and you may see that it changes back.

Scott T.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Rich, thanks for your reply. I actually noticed that workaround later as I read some more after making my post. I find it amusing that the URL for Files is "Home." Of course it is! 🙂

Lorenzo C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ya, Christopher.  I am not the only one who logs into my dropbox.  I don't necessarily want others to see my recent files.

Paul M.37
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Many of us use dropbox for both personal and private files.  Consider the camera upload feature and recent files opening by default and you might get the "picture" maybe a picture you don't particularly want displayed in public when looking for a business file.  Or if someone just happens to look over your shoulder at the wrong moment.  Allow us to disable this. 

A G.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm going to be rather frank. I'm a gay man who uses Dropbox for business and pleasure. With the default set to 'Recent', I run the risk of people seeing photos that are better left private when opening the app on my android phone - more so when someone might be looking over my shoulder. The default should be set to "Files" or at least provide an option to nominate a default folder. Dropbox is an amazingly good product. But privacy issues should be taken into serious consideration. To this end, I support the view of Paul M above. Best regards to all.

Trinity C.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

the URL for Files is "Home." https://www.dropbox.com/home

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

This thread is referring to the Recents page on the Dropbox website; not the mobile clients.For further discussion about Recents on the mobile clients, please refer to the following thread:

Doug R.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The mobile thread isn't exactly the same, though - it is requesting how to clear the recent files list, not pointing out that it was a douchey move to force the behavior on users without an option to turn it off. Right now, if anybody picks up my tablet and opens Dropbox, they get to see whatever I'm working on, unless I start jumping through hoops to lock the tablet down. I'd be better off copying files over manually or using a different app.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Northcroft New member | Level 2
    SVPA S. New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Alexis G.1 Super User
    Keith N.8 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?