cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Off Recent Files Feature

Turn Off Recent Files Feature

Lorenzo C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I don't like the recent files to be shown.  Can I turn off the feature or at least clear the files so they don't show up?

44 Replies 44

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

if anybody picks up my tablet and opens Dropbox, they get to see whatever I'm working on

For the time being, enable the feature that requires a PIN to open Dropbox. No one will be able to see your files if they open Dropbox.

GILBERT K.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

What is the best way to make sure other users can't see your recent files?  I have people at work that do have access to my drop box.  

J W.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I don't like the Dropbox Android mobile app forcing me to "recents" folder.  When I switch to "files" to view contents of specific folders, my device back button no longer takes me back a page.  It keeps bouncing me back to the same folder.  Something terribly wrong.  The previous app version did not do that.  Also, some suggested "bookmark the "files" folder page.  Well... if only there was a way to bookmark.  This version of the mobile app does not provide a way to bookmark.  So I deleted the app from my phone until Dropbox figures out a way to make it more friendly and faster like the previous version.  I don't need the frustration while they work the bugs out.

Greg G.22
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I know this is true for both iPhone and Android. I use a Samsung Note 4.  When I (and everyone else) opens the Dropbox app, the first thing that pops up is "Recents".  At one time, it was not there, now it is.  IF you read the comments EVERYWHERE, this is not acceptable.  If you care about your customers, you will listen and remove it.  Even if you allowed the ability to clear it, it is still NOT acceptable as it could be too late at that point if someone is standing beside me. Once the app is opened, the files are visible until it was cleared (but not possible to do this).  There just might be private photos in your "supposedly" secure app.  If someone is standing beside you and you open the Dropbox app,  there could be and it's happened to me and many others according to the forums, a photo that is TOTALLY private and it's too late, the damage is done.  Again, this is not acceptable and as far as I'm concerned (and many others), this is not something that is needed.  Someone in the development team seemed to think it was a good idea,,,,,,,,,,well, it isn't.  I know if it was an added (unsecured) "feature", then it can be removed.  Listen to your customers, they (us) made you big so listen to us.  I know there is a work around by making a shortcut to the folder you want to show when opening Dropbox, however this is not a fix.  This must be removed.  You claim that security is your top priority, then prove it and make us feel more secure.  We don't need files accidentally seen.
I hope to have a positive reply and the only positive reply would be that it is going to be removed.  The "Resents" folder I suppose could be there in a CLOSED state at the very least.  Not open and visible to prying eyes.  This is not an acceptable and I hope you are taking the 1000's of complaints seriously.

Greg

Lorenzo C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

IT'S OBVIOUS BY THE COMMENTS FOLLOWING MY ORIGINAL POST THAT PEOPLE DO NOT WANT THE "RECENT" FEATURE. HOW HARD IS IT TO LET US DISABLE THIS FEATURE? I BET IT'S NOT AS HARD AS YOUR CUSTOMERS FINDING A NEW CLOUD SYSTEM. FIX THIS NOW...pretty please. 

Steve M.60
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Please remove the recent folder or at the very least allow us to make it inactive.  I not long ago deleted files from my recent folder and you know what happened.  It deleted the files from the original folder shared by someone else.  They then had to place the deleted files back into their folder.  I do not care for it.  Looks like there are quite a few people that do not care for it.  I'm still trying to understand why it was done that way.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Again...

This thread is referring to the Recents page on the Dropbox website; not the mobile clients. For further discussion about Recents on the mobile clients, please refer to the following thread:

Jan C.17
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Using a bookmark to bypass the Recents page only works if you are accessing Dropbox with a browser. If using the app, the page is the default. It is a minor software change to give users the option of which page is the default. I wrote software for over 30 years before retiring. Get one of the software engineers to stay over a couple lunch hours and get it done...... The community has been asking for this for a long time.  Thanks much.....

Alister R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Do we know if Dropbox are working on a way to disable Recents or allow more control of Recents?

Shannon B.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I don't like the recents feature because it shows private pictures I've view recently. If I have camera upload on and take some risque pictures for or with my SO I don't want those flashing up on the screen. You guys should offer an option to turn it off, or at least exclude some folders from ever showing up there... right now I have to keep a passcode on my app so it doesn't flash up pics I don't want to share at work or when my kids are around.

Seriously, think about this before you make a feature mandatory.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Northcroft New member | Level 2
    SVPA S. New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Alexis G.1 Super User
    Keith N.8 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?