cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off Microsoft Online

Turning off Microsoft Online

JOHN P.10
New member | Level 1

Dropbox now seems to force me to allow MS Office Online to access my files. They convert to pdfs, the print function doesn't work, and it generally seems cumbersome. I want simply to open files with my version of Word on my computer as before. How do I dodge MS Office Online?

18 Replies 18

Re: Turning off Microsoft Online

ida s.1
New member | Level 1

hi there, has your problem been solved? i used to have the free dropbox version. when opening a WORD file it would automatically open in my desktop microsoft word app. now it only opens in TEXT EDIT? now i first have to download the file in order to work on it? 

ida s.1
New member | Level 1

and by now i mean now that i have upgraded to dropbox pro.

ida s.1
New member | Level 1

it's impossible to work with WORD ONLINE, as it messes with logo etc.

ida s.1
New member | Level 1

it's impossible to work with WORD ONLINE, as it messes with logo etc.

ida s.1
New member | Level 1

somehow i found out that is i open the files via de dropbox app on my imac, and then open the files they open immediately in MS office. if you open files from web they open in text edit or word online.

John Paciga
New member | Level 1

Dropbox help told me to ensure that I turned off the apps setting in security to ensure that MS online didn't have access to the folders. This didn't help at all. Now I don't have the dropbox icon in my folder so that has also made things complicated. I can't seem to reinstall it but have asked dropbox for advice. I am using the business version so am actually paying for this service. Maybe not much longer at this rate of problems.

Paul C.100
New member | Level 1

It's one year later. This problem still exists. Dropbox Help is claiming it's not a Dropbox setting, and that I have to find how to disable this "feature" through my Office settings or microsoft.com. I haven't figured it out yet. Seems like I got one chance at dropbox.com when I answered "yes" instead of "no" on this new feature of Microsoft "Office Online" opening the file. This was asked when opening one of my spreadsheet files. Now I can never go back and answer "no". 

birdnerdmn
New member | Level 2

I am having the same problem and I never answered Yes to MS Office online.   It is junk.

Rich
Super User II

Just unlink Micorsoft Office Online from your account on your Security page.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Paul C.100 New member | Level 1
    John Paciga New member | Level 1
    ida s.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?