cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two accounts by mistake

Two accounts by mistake

gold
New member | Level 2

I have Dropbox Plus on my laptop. I just bought a new desktop and when it asked for my info in Dropbox, I signed in by mistake with Google (and my gmail address is on that) My dropbox plus is on a different email. Now my new computer keeps saying my dropbox is full and suggests I upgrade. How do I switch over from the gmail address so that my new computer can take advantage of so much space I have with dropbox plus that's on another email. I've already looked into unlinking, but my desktop doesn't show up in that. Should I delete my dropbox from my desktop and try to sign into my laptop's dropbox account?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Two accounts by mistake

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @gold - how are you today?

Have you tried un-linking from the desktop application directly?

All you'd need to do in this case is unlink the wrong account and link the correct one. Here's how:

1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock
2) Click on the gear icon :gear: in the Notifications panel and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
3) Click the 'Unlink' button
4) Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register. You'll now be able to link the correct account.

Note that the Dropbox folder itself is still there and since you'll be relinking to a different account, the application will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'.

Should you like your new Dropbox folder to be in a location different than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking.

Let me know if this helped!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @gold - how are you today?

Have you tried un-linking from the desktop application directly?

All you'd need to do in this case is unlink the wrong account and link the correct one. Here's how:

1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock
2) Click on the gear icon :gear: in the Notifications panel and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
3) Click the 'Unlink' button
4) Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register. You'll now be able to link the correct account.

Note that the Dropbox folder itself is still there and since you'll be relinking to a different account, the application will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'.

Should you like your new Dropbox folder to be in a location different than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking.

Let me know if this helped!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

ST R.
New member | Level 2

Hello. I accidentally unlinked the wrong PC. It has the app already installed. How do I link it? There is no gear icon in my notifications panel. Assuming I am on PC1 and PC2 is linked, how do I link PC3? The web page, settings, security is easy to unlink but I can't see how to link. Please can you help?

Rich
Super User II

@ST R. wrote:

Assuming I am on PC1 and PC2 is linked, how do I link PC3? The web page, settings, security is easy to unlink but I can't see how to link. Please can you help?

You can't link a computer that you're not in front of. You need to be on PC3 and then sign-in using the Dropbox app on that computer. If you've accidently unlinked a computer from the website, you'll need to go to that computer to relink it.

ST R.
New member | Level 2

ah, now I understand. Many thanks, David

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?