cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two users on one mac computer using the same dropbox folder?

Two users on one mac computer using the same dropbox folder?

Graybell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, Can two users with two separate accounts on one mac computer have equal access to the same dropbox folder? Or does the second user need to create a new dropbox folder for the same dropbox account?

Thx!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Graybell wrote:

Can two users with two separate accounts on one mac computer have equal access to the same dropbox folder? Or does the second user need to create a new dropbox folder for the same dropbox account?

If you're both signing in to the same Dropbox account and the Dropbox folder is located in a common area accessible to both accounts, then yes, it is possible, but it's also highly problematic. You risk losing data, especially if you start using features like Selective Sync in such a configuration.

Simply put, Dropbox was not designed to work that way. Each computer account should run their own copy of Dropbox syncing to their own folder. It will mean that you're duplicating the data on the computer, but it's the safest way to do it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Graybell wrote:

Can two users with two separate accounts on one mac computer have equal access to the same dropbox folder? Or does the second user need to create a new dropbox folder for the same dropbox account?

If you're both signing in to the same Dropbox account and the Dropbox folder is located in a common area accessible to both accounts, then yes, it is possible, but it's also highly problematic. You risk losing data, especially if you start using features like Selective Sync in such a configuration.

Simply put, Dropbox was not designed to work that way. Each computer account should run their own copy of Dropbox syncing to their own folder. It will mean that you're duplicating the data on the computer, but it's the safest way to do it.

Voutloos
Explorer | Level 4

Fast forward to 2024....

I have 1 iMac, 2 accounts....

But we use 1 dropbox account and there is no room for duplicates.

Is it possible to just have 1 dropbox app running?

My Adobe software runs fine on both accounts so why would dropbox be a problem?

Rich
Super User II

@Voutloos wrote:

I have 1 iMac, 2 accounts....

Is it possible to just have 1 dropbox app running?

The same answer still applies and will likely never change. Dropbox is not designed to work like that. It's a lot more than just an application like Adobe, Office, etc., that can be shared. There's file storage, databases, user settings, sync settings, etc., that are all user-specific and can't be shared.

If you need to share a single Dropbox account, then share a single computer account.

Voutloos
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Rich! I am such a noob with these things.

so my work around would be: 

I do a clean installation on computer 1 with 1 account.

And my MacBook with my account keeps acces to the same dropbox files.

Sounds like a simple solution 🙂 hopefully it works!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Voutloos Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?