cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two versions of photos being uploaded

Two versions of photos being uploaded

lilirose
Explorer | Level 4

I recently got a new Android phone running Pie. I use Dropbox to automatically back up photos. Ever since getting the new phone, there are two versions of every photo I take being uploaded. One is high resolution (wanted), the other low resolution (unwanted). Does anyone know how to get my phone to stop uploading the low resolution version of the photo?

I apologise if I've labelled this wrongly, I don't see a label that fits.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Two versions of photos being uploaded

Walter
Dropboxer

Yes indeed. That's exactly what I meant @lilirose!

As promised, I just sent you a brief message so please have a look at your email's inbox and we'll take it from there.

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropboxer

Hello @lilirose - welcome to the Community!

Based on your description, I'd say that our automatic camera uploads feature is uploading two versions of your photos; one is the original one and one is with the filters you've applied on the photos - am I on the right track here?

If that's the case, note that there's no way to disable this functionality as our camera uploads feature is now uploading both versions of your photos (the original ones and the edited ones) - since February I believe when this change was pushed to all of our users.

I hope this clears things up and I'm here for you should you have any additional questions.

If I'm misunderstanding something, please let me know!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lilirose
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the response! No, there is no filter being applied to these photos. It's happening with literally every photo I take, without exception, and there is no change other than the resolution.

One of the uploaded photos would be full resolution (3017x4096) and the other is identical to the first except its resolution is only 320x240.  The filenames are., oddly, not the same- for example, the photo with the filename 2019-09-16 15.18.26.jpg has a low resolution twin called 2019-09-17 06.39.45-6.jpg, which would indicate that it was saved the next day. Again, I am not creating these files in any way- this is happening to every photo I take.

I know there used to be an ability to choose which folders of photos should be uploaded. Is this the removed functionality that you're referring to?

Walter
Dropboxer

I'm not aware of such functionality within our mobile app @lilirose. Could it be that you're referring to manually uploading files via the (+) button within our mobile app?

In addition, do you maybe have a 3rd party app/service that's backing up (or somehow altering/editing) your photos before they get uploaded to Dropbox? If so, what's the name of this app?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

lilirose
Explorer | Level 4

I am using the automatic camera upload functionality. I do very little with my Dropbox manually. 

I do not have any third party apps that alter my photos in any way.

Again, this is a new problem since getting a new phone. However, I set it up identically to the old phone (which was from the same manufacturer though an older model).

Walter
Dropboxer

I see. Thanks for the additional information @lilirose!

At this point, I'll need to dig a tad deeper. Therefore, would it be OK if I reached out to your Dropbox associated email address to have a further look into this with all of our tools at my disposal?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

lilirose
Explorer | Level 4

I'm a little confused with what is meant by "would it be OK if I reached out to your Dropbox associated email address"...is this a formal way of saying you want to email me privately? That would be acceptable, yes. 

Please let me know if I didn't understand.

Walter
Dropboxer

Yes indeed. That's exactly what I meant @lilirose!

As promised, I just sent you a brief message so please have a look at your email's inbox and we'll take it from there.

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Jaybirdy
Explorer | Level 3

Am i missing something? I don't see where this problem was resolved. I'm having a similar problem and this thread is next to useless...

lilirose
Explorer | Level 4
It turns out that my phone was generating the second photo, Jaybirdy, it was not a Dropbox problem. Hope this helps.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jaybirdy Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    lilirose Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?