cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Ubuntu 18.04 appindicators

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello, my machine automatically updated to Ubuntu 18.04, and the Dropbox icon won't show up in the system tray area in the top right (I think Ubuntu calls them appindicators). I often used the icon shortcut to choose which folders to sync (few times a week for web development). So, how do I the icons to show? Also, is there another way to get to Dropbox settings on Ubuntu?

When I reinstall Dropbox, the icons come back but go away when I reboot.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 appindicators

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Found this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1065714/how-to-fix-broken-dropbox-menu-in-xubuntu-18-04

I'll try it when I get home and update this post.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @plumdot, I’d point you towards this Forum thread, where we’ve previously discussed it in more detail. It may also be useful to check back on the requirements for Linux listed here. (Let me repeat below for convenience.) 

Please note that Dropbox uses Qt 5.5 and as such needs the following software to work on a desktop environment:

• GTK 2.12 or higher
  • GLib 2.22 or higher
  • Libnotify 0.4.4 or higher
  • Libappindicator 1.0
  • Nautilus 2.30.0 or higher 
We usually focus specifically on the Qt 5.5, since- if you have a different version, you’ll have to consult your OS or Qt documentation and then let us know if this discrepancy persists. 

Hopefully this is-even slightly- helpful to you & please let us know of the outcome in your next post, so as to take it from there. Thanks for posting us & have a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I was here as you, I remove dropbox from the terminal and then you should install from Ubuntu software the dropbox box 

dropbox stop
dropbox status  # Should report "not running"
rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist
rm -rf /var/lib/dropbox
rm -rf ~/.dropbox*
sudo apt-get remove nautilus-dropbox
sudo apt-get remove dropbox
rm /etc/apt/source.d/dropbox

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks, guys! I'll try both when I get home.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I also experienced this. It turned out to simply be that I needed to re-enable the GNOME Extension "Ubuntu appindicators" using the GNOME Tweaks tool.

Screenshot from 2018-10-15 12-44-08.png

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is the easiest, most permanent solution I've found. 

https://askubuntu.com/questions/966987/indicator-icons-do-not-appear-after-upgrade-to-ubuntu-17-10

Remove the old app-indicator vestige from Unity. 

sudo apt remove application-indicator

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

hopefully you found a solution in the meanwhile. For those who are still looking for one I fixed the problem by installing the dropbox.deb for ubuntu again that is available as download. I used the "Software install" as explained here.

After restart the icon and menu is still present and the client continues as before with syncing.

But for me it would also be interesting, if it is possible to change settings somewhere in the configuration files. E. g. there is a .dropbox/info.json with sync folder information. Can I edit this to use another folder for sync? Or is something else required?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Metropolis, thanks for the nudge here!

It looks like you’ve installed the desktop app using the user interface based on the linked resources; please let me know if I'm not on the right path on that.

If so, you should be able to move the files you’ve stored in Dropbox through the app’s Preferences referencing the steps outlined here

I hope this clarifies matters & please let me know if you have more questions for me. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?