cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ubuntu Dropbox CLI reporting odd looking figures and slow rates. x86_64-62.3.99

Highlighted

Ubuntu Dropbox CLI reporting odd looking figures and slow rates. x86_64-62.3.99

Collaborator | Level 8

Stopped Dropbox, moved folder and symlinked back as per instructions, then restarted dropbox

dropbox status

Syncing 85,394 files • 1 sec
Indexing 45,611 files...
Uploading 207 files (199.5 KB/sec, 1 sec)

ten minutes later

Syncing 69,296 files • 1 sec
Indexing 34,211 files...
Uploading 203 files (10.6 KB/sec, 1 sec)

I'm on a fast VPS with a an upload speed test of around 80Mb/sec.

The dropbox size on the web appears to be the same, but the files I just imported via the "add to my dropbox" are not appearing in the local folder.

The folder permissions are all OK.

So, lots of strange things here:

Why is it syncing so many files when they are already synced?

Why is upload 199k on a 100Mb/Sec vps?

Why do both syncing and upload always say one second?

ls           list directory contents with current sync status 

doesn't do that, it just lists the directory.

Using both latest dropbox x86_64-62.3.99 and dropbox.py on Ubuntu 16.04 x64

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ubuntu Dropbox CLI reporting odd looking figures and slow rates. x86_64-62.3.99

Collaborator | Level 8

Hi Jay;

Thanks. No, no restrictions, just tested file upload to US speedtest - 72Mb/sec.

That's 370x quicker than Dropbox says it was syncing at!

Didn't realise that x86_64-62.3.99 was a beta version - I just installed using the instructions at https://www.dropbox.com/en_GB/install-linux

If that's giving me a beta, where do I get the standard one from? As this command line, there's no box to tick.

Regarding the symlinks, I just did the standard 

mv Dropbox /mnt/volume-lon1-01/
ln -s  /mnt/volume-lon1-01/Dropbox ~/Dropbox

I don't have any symlinks within my Dropbox folder as I just want to move the folder to a drive with more space. According to this forum there is no way to tell Dropbox where to put the folder via a headless (command line) box, so symlinking is the only way.

It does seemed to have stopped syncing now though! Everything seems to be running OK for now.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, regarding the symlinks, are you referring to the instructions in step 7, to have the symlinks located outside of the Dropbox folder and pointing into the folder itself?

It seems that the files aren’t fully synced, hence why it’s still syncing. Since you just moved the Dropbox folder, it does need time to index all the files in their new location to confirm there hasn’t been any change.

Speed tests usually find the nearest server on the same ISP, and don’t represent the same speed when uploading to Dropbox servers, which are based in the US. 

Have you checked to see if there is a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

The calculations for the time remaining can vary. Since you’re running a beta version of the Dropbox desktop application, it’s possible that this could be the reason, since the beta is only for testing purposes and not for common use like the stable build

Have you tried installing the stable version by unchecking the box next to "Early releases", then redownloading the app?

Keep me posted! 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Collaborator | Level 8

Hi Jay;

Thanks. No, no restrictions, just tested file upload to US speedtest - 72Mb/sec.

That's 370x quicker than Dropbox says it was syncing at!

Didn't realise that x86_64-62.3.99 was a beta version - I just installed using the instructions at https://www.dropbox.com/en_GB/install-linux

If that's giving me a beta, where do I get the standard one from? As this command line, there's no box to tick.

Regarding the symlinks, I just did the standard 

mv Dropbox /mnt/volume-lon1-01/
ln -s  /mnt/volume-lon1-01/Dropbox ~/Dropbox

I don't have any symlinks within my Dropbox folder as I just want to move the folder to a drive with more space. According to this forum there is no way to tell Dropbox where to put the folder via a headless (command line) box, so symlinking is the only way.

It does seemed to have stopped syncing now though! Everything seems to be running OK for now.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Since this is a CLI device, you’ll need to use a normal desktop and their browser to login to the same Dropbox account you have on that machine, and uncheck the early releases box that way.

It’s good to hear that the syncing has calmed down, moving the Dropbox folder always needs a bit of time to check all files are correctly synced.

Let me know if you experience any further issues!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Since this is a CLI device, you’ll need to use a normal desktop and their browser to login to the same Dropbox account you have on that machine, and uncheck the early releases box that way.

Ah, OK - I understand. I thought it was a setting on the client.
Thanks - I'll keep an eye on thins!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
No worries, if you have any questions feel free to let me know!

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?