cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu Dropbox Folder Can't Move to Second HDD

Ubuntu Dropbox Folder Can't Move to Second HDD

Explorer | Level 4

I am running Ubuntu and move my Dropbox folder from the main SSD the has not enough space to the larger internal HDD. I set all folder permissions to read & write and I am the owner of the folder.

However, Dropbox does not find/use the folder. When I start it says "Your Dropbox folder has been moved or deleted from its original location. Dropbox will not work properly until you move it back. ..." ... and wants me to put it back to the original location.

How can I make Dropbox use the secondary HDD?

4 Replies 4

Re: Ubuntu Dropbox Folder Can't Move to Second HDD

Dropboxer

Hello there @Xjk, sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Just to clarify, are you moving the Dropbox folder through the desktop app preferences? The steps for this are outlined here if you're not sure on the process.

Let me know and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you. I moved the folder in the way recommended. It is under "/media/myName/storage/Dropbox". I just confirmed the location after restarting.

Upon restart, the message comes back up:

Your Dropbox folder has been moved or deleted from its original location. Dropbox will not work properly until you move it back. It used to be located at: /media/myName/storage/Dropbox

To move it back, click "Exit" below, move the Dropbox folder back to its original location, and launch Dropbox again.

This computer was previously linked to MY_ACCOUNT's account.

If you'd like to link to an account again to download and restore your Dropbox from the web version, click "Relink".

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Xjk,

Did you check that your mounted partition/drive and, in your case, root FS (may be bug but Dropbox application checks the mount point also, in your case!) match Dropbox FS restrictions?

If the problem is unsupported FS, you can take a look here for workaround without changing anything else. Be careful about change in a variable name, noted below the script, which should be corrected by hand (dropboxform bug) before use! DBX_WEB_src have to be modified to DBX_WEB_SRC, that's it.

Hope this gives some direction.

Dropboxer

Hey @Xjk, thanks for the info!

In addition to @Здравко's suggestion, it might be that the when you restart your device that the desktop app is starting before the second drive is correctly mounted. This can be a common issue with moving the Dropbox folder to another drive as mentioned in the article that I previously linked. 

You should be able to click the "Relink" option and choose to connect it again to the Dropbox folder. However, this issue that you're having can result in some issues with syncing and even potential data loss. Maybe the best way around this would be to disable the Dropbox app from starting on system start up and to manually launch the app once the drive is correctly mounted.

It might be worth just trying the above to see if that will help with this issue even though I understand it's not the most ideal workaround.

I hope this helps - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?