cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu Gnome 3.16, bottom corner panel/badge

Ubuntu Gnome 3.16, bottom corner panel/badge

Robert A.18
New member | Level 1

Hi,

I just installed Dropbox client on my new Ubuntu (linux) installation with Gnome 3.16, and noticed that Dropbox has it's own panel and icon in the bottom left corner of the screen. It overlays all other applications, and I would very much prefer to disable/remove it.

Screenshot:

I checked in preferences, but found no way to disable it. Is there any way to remove it without stopping the daemon? If not, is there an alternative version I can install which does not have this panel/badge/icon?

Thanks in advance for all help 🙂

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ubuntu Gnome 3.16, bottom corner panel/badge

Robert A.18
New member | Level 1

UPDATE 4 (FINAL): Fixed it! All I had to do was install the TopIcons GNOME Extension: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/495/topicons/

Hope this can be of help to anyone else with the same issue.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Robert A.18
New member | Level 1

Update: I am on Ubuntu 15.10, and installed Dropbox client from the official install page, selecting the 64bit Ubuntu package.

I might try to uninstall, and then install the headless server version only - but would love some feedback from the Dropbox team, or others with same issue, first. Thanks again.

Robert A.18
New member | Level 1

Update 2: I realize now that most likely DID NOT install the Dropbox client via the website, but from the Ubuntu repository, like so:

$ sudo apt-get install dropbox

Tried the headless install, and it also ends up creating it's own panel/bar when I run the Dropbox daemon: 

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

Robert A.18
New member | Level 1

Update 3: This is still an issue, and I have now isolated it to only happen in the Gnome DE. If I use Unity, the Dropbox icon only appears in the top panel/bar. I would like that to happen in Gnome also, like it does in Fedora with Gnome.

Robert A.18
New member | Level 1

UPDATE 4 (FINAL): Fixed it! All I had to do was install the TopIcons GNOME Extension: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/495/topicons/

Hope this can be of help to anyone else with the same issue.

View solution in original post

Dimitrije P.
New member | Level 1

This worked for me too 🙂

ahufed
New member | Level 2
Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ahufed New member | Level 2
    Dimitrije P. New member | Level 1
    Robert A.18 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?