cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Ubuntu remote session (chrome remote desktop) cannot start Dropbox but same local user account works

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I have a strange problem. I am using Ubuntu 18.04 and have a local admin account where I installed dropbox and everything is working normally without any problems. However, when I use Chrome Remote Desktop to start a remote session on this workstation to the same user account, I can login and see all my other programs but there is no Dropbox status icon in the status bar and typing dropbox status results in "Dropbox isn't running!" 

Running dropbox start results in the following output:

Starting Dropbox...dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-iiaORW
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.7.5
dropbox: setting program path '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172:/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/apex._apex.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/tornado.speedups.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/PyQt5.QtCore.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/PyQt5.QtGui.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/PyQt5.QtNetwork.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/PyQt5.QtWidgets.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/xtan/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-88.4.172/PyQt5.QtDBus.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
Dropbox isn't running!
Done!

I have also tried unstalling and reinstalling through the remote session but that doesn't do anything different:

dropbox is already the newest version (2019.02.14)

Logging in to the same user account locally has no problems, and dropbox works fine. It would be really great to get Dropbox working for the remote session. Any one have any ideas how to fix this?

D

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Ubuntu remote session (chrome remote desktop) cannot start Dropbox but same local user account w

Super Collaborator | Level 20
3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Ubuntu remote session (chrome remote desktop) cannot start Dropbox but same local user account w

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @xtan - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'm not sure if this is related but the Dropbox folder on a computer with our desktop app installed should not be accessed from a remote location or a different profile. This is probably the reason why you're noticing this behavior while it disappears when you log into the user account locally (and not a remote session of any sorts). 

I hope this clears things up a tad while I'm always around if you have any questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

This was great - thanks!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?