cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu startup starts 2 instances of Dropbox

Ubuntu startup starts 2 instances of Dropbox

Michael S.108
Explorer | Level 4

Howdy, I have been using Dropbox for a very long time now and it is my go-to for everything transferred between Ubuntu, Windows 10, and Android. The last year I have been having this problem, and I've tried so many things to fix it, I have reached the end of trying to research it. When I install Dropbox on Ubuntu (I have installed, deleted, reinstalled hundreds of times now including deleting the config files in .dropbox and .dropbox-dist) I keep getting the requestor "Dropbox installation <cr> Dropbox is the easiest way to share and store your files online. want to learn more? Head to https://www.dropbox.com/ <cr> In order to use Dropbox you must download the proprietary daemon" There is already an instance of Dropbox running on my computer. I can access it. I can move files. I can do anything I need with that instance running. As soon as I click on [OK] another instance of Dropbox starts up and I have two Dropbox icons in the title bar. As I said I have tried everything, including looking for instructions online and every trick I know to turn off the second instance to no avail. What is going on?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ubuntu startup starts 2 instances of Dropbox

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Michael S.108,

Yes, you are right. That's imperfection (not to say bug) in the application as an idea, mentioned many times all over this forum (including me here). The issue comes from application intention runs as singular instance, but very unstable implementation of the part achieving (or supposed to, at least) singularity. When the system is heavy loaded (something usual on boot up) and more than one launch happens, more app instances could pass through the limitation in wrong. Many desktop environments keep track what apps are running on logout/shutdown time and try restore all of them at next login moment, from one side. From another side, Dropbox application itself try to ensure its startup on login (i.e. 2 launch try in same time when system usually is heavy loaded). That's where the problem comes from. The main issue is why Dropbox reject for this bug existence for years. 🤷 Anyway... You can use my idea in referred post directly or as something to start from. Currently I use an adapted variant, waiting for enough computational resources (not just fixed time) before the actual launch forwarding and it works stable as a workaround. I don't hope anymore Dropbox will fix that. 😠 They never have gave a try and seems don't plan to!

Hope this clarifies matter and helps to some extent.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Ubuntu startup starts 2 instances of Dropbox

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Michael S.108,

Yes, you are right. That's imperfection (not to say bug) in the application as an idea, mentioned many times all over this forum (including me here). The issue comes from application intention runs as singular instance, but very unstable implementation of the part achieving (or supposed to, at least) singularity. When the system is heavy loaded (something usual on boot up) and more than one launch happens, more app instances could pass through the limitation in wrong. Many desktop environments keep track what apps are running on logout/shutdown time and try restore all of them at next login moment, from one side. From another side, Dropbox application itself try to ensure its startup on login (i.e. 2 launch try in same time when system usually is heavy loaded). That's where the problem comes from. The main issue is why Dropbox reject for this bug existence for years. 🤷 Anyway... You can use my idea in referred post directly or as something to start from. Currently I use an adapted variant, waiting for enough computational resources (not just fixed time) before the actual launch forwarding and it works stable as a workaround. I don't hope anymore Dropbox will fix that. 😠 They never have gave a try and seems don't plan to!

Hope this clarifies matter and helps to some extent.

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?