cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Install on Ubuntu

Unable to Install on Ubuntu

kasrayazdani
New member | Level 2

Hi, I am running Ubuntu 16.04 and I am not able to install and log into my Dropbox account. I have spent hours scraping the internet for a solution and it is not working. Here is my problem:

I normally run 

cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -

and then 

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

This opens a webpage where I can enter my credentials, and I receive a security code back which I should be able to insert it back to verify and it is supposed to work. However, there is nowhere to put the security code and my terminal displays the following and it doesn't do anything.

dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-rE1evV
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.7.5
dropbox: setting program path '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548:/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/apex._apex.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/tornado.speedups.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/PyQt5.QtCore.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/PyQt5.QtGui.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/PyQt5.QtNetwork.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/PyQt5.QtWidgets.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/username/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-91.4.548/PyQt5.QtDBus.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'

Please help. Thank you!

6 Replies 6

Re: Unable to Install on Ubuntu

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @kasrayazdani; happy Friday and welcome to our Community!

Your error log seems incomplete as it's missing some lines in the end. Can you reboot the affected machine and let me know if you're still seeing the same status?

Let me know how it goes and we'll take it from there! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Elixir
Super User

Recently I experienced a Python related issue on Ubuntu 18.04. The problem was solved by installing a package: 

sudo apt-get install libatomic1

Then you can run: 

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

More details in this post - https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Linux-Dropbox-fatal-python-exception/td-p/3793...

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

The output is complete, but seems something related to authentication flow goes wrong. Usually the application should receive token automatically - not through code. Possible workaround is repeat the same in a clear console session using:

ssh username@localhost
~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

maymage
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone,

I'm running fedora 31 and am also unable to install/start/run dropbox.. I've tried installing from dropbox, from rpmfusion and flathub.. It always hangs at the

PyQt5.QtDBus.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so

as in this case.. here the terminal output Dropbox_Installation_Hangs_PyQt5.png

kyazdani
New member | Level 2

I agree. It ended up being just an authenication issue. I tried the same thing over and over in fresh terminals and it ended up working one of these times, which is strange, but it worked!!!!

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

:grinning::slight_smile: Hi @kyazdani,

No so strange. Dropbox application don't have internal OAuth authenticator, that's why the default system browser gets used in GUI. In CLI the authentication link gets out in the used terminal (just running some command in a terminal doesn't mean that the session isn't GUI anymore!). Seems Dropbox application has broken "friendship" to some browsers (if I could say so 😂; not to say - bug). That's why authentication gets "on hold" continuously at that moment.

Once the application gets authenticated/linked, you can run it however you want - the OAuth authentication has pass already and the above lines aren't needed anymore. 😉

Hope this adds clarity.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    kyazdani New member | Level 2
    maymage Explorer | Level 3
    Elixir Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?