cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Open, Uninstall or Re-Install Dropbox

Unable to Open, Uninstall or Re-Install Dropbox

talksr
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, getting pretty fed up with Dropbox to be honest. Was looking to upgrade to business, but keep getting issues on various devices.

For this device, Windows 10 Pro, fully updated. 
When computer boots, the following Dropbox.exe System Error is shown with just an OK box...
The code execution cannot proceed because C:\Program Files(x86)\Dropbox\Client\72.4.136\MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the programme may fix this problem.

I have downloaded the latest version of Dropxbox to do as it says and re-install. It Opens, connects to internet, shows "Installing Dropbox" for around one minute. The installer then disappears. If I try and open Dropbox, I am presented with the above error once more. If I visit Programs & Features and try to uninstall, I get Dropbox failed to uninstall. 

What next? 

11 Replies 11

Re: Unable to Open, Uninstall or Re-Install Dropbox

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @talksr,

In this case I would advise trying an advanced re-install of the app, the steps are outlined here. In order to uninstall the app, please open your task manager to see if there are any processes associated with Dropbox running. If so, please end these processes and try again to uninstall the app.

If you’re still unable to uninstall, please follow the steps within the spoiler below to do it manually:

Spoiler
  1. Open Windows File Explorer. 
  2. Copy this line and paste it into the address bar. Press Enter.
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%
  1. In “Program Files,” open the “Dropbox” folder, then open the “Client” folder.
  2. In “Client,” you should see a file named DropboxUninstaller.exe. Double-click this file to run the uninstaller. 
If the uninstaller fails or doesn’t launch, try running the uninstaller as an administrator:
  1. Right-click DropboxUninstaller.exe
  2. Select Run as Administrator
  3. Enter the computer admin username and password when prompted.
  4. Follow the the steps in the uninstaller. 

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

talksr
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your post.

Unfortuanately, still problems.

I followed through the guide for a windows comptuer, but got stuck here:

Repeat these steps with the following folders. Deleting any of these folders will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder.

• %APPDATA%
  • %PROGRAMFILES%
  • %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%

The computer refused to delete the folder as it said it was inuse. I closed down the background tasks, tried again. Same thing. 

Opened task man and disabled dropbox from starting on startup.

Rebooted, tried again. Same thing. 

I moved onto your spoiler instructions, located the dropboxuninstaller, it opens, does some work and then gets stuck on the uninstall loader screen (about 75%) and says the same as uninstalling through control panel:

"Dropbox failed to uninstall."

loyal
Explorer | Level 4

depended from the speed of your computer .. perhaps

talksr
Helpful | Level 5

It has been stuck now for over an hour. When I first tried uninstalling before starting this post, it was going for three hours and never finished.

The laptop is a 6mth old Lenovo L380, i5 with 16gb of ram and an ssd hdd. I am 100% this is a Dropbox software related issue, not the hardware.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @talksr,

Would you mind checking out this link here to a Microsoft Support page, just to see if the info and steps there will assist with uninstalling the software.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

talksr
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for your post. 
I have run through this but unfortunately, Dropbox was not listed in the having trouble uninstalling software list. 

I selected Not Listed, but it asks for a product code. Dropbox does not have a product code. So I am unable to proceed any further.

I have again tried re-installing with a fresh download. The installer runs through and vanishes. Giving no notification for if it has or has not actually installed. If I try and open with an icon. I get the original error. 

Again, I try your last suggested method, running the Microsoft software. Once more, Dropbox is not listed in the Select the program you want to uninstall list.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for your patience and sticking with me here to try these steps @talksr!

I would like to move over to our Support channel so that we can look into your account in some more detail and see if there’s anything we’ve missed. Would you mind if I reach out to the email address associated with your Community profile? 

Otherwise, if you have already submitted a Support ticket, please let me know the ticket reference number (eg. #1234567) and I can follow up with the info you have provided here.

Let me know - Cheers! 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

talksr
Helpful | Level 5

Daphne,

No problem. Will wait to hear from you.

Regards

Robert 

Daphne
Dropboxer
I’ve reached out to your email address @talksr, please check your inbox at your earliest convenience and let me know that you received this in reply to the email.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

talksr Helpful | Level 5
    zi_yao_lin New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?