cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Uninstall / Reinstall Dropbox

Unable to Uninstall / Reinstall Dropbox

Enegma1
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, my computer was recently infected by a virus, which caused my Dropbox desktop app to be unable to launch. However, whenever I try to uninstall the app (as admin), I get an error message saying that it failed to uninstall. Even when I try to reinstall the app, nothing happens when I launch the installer (I have also tried using the offline version). How should I proceed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to Uninstall / Reinstall Dropbox

Enegma1
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Lusil,

Appreciate the response. I actually managed to successfully remove and reinstall the app after using a third party program to remove all traces of the initial install. For other users who face similar issues, the program in question is Revo Uninstaller. My understanding is that certain essential files were corrupted from the virus attack, but I do hope future versions of dropbox makes the uninstallation process a little bit more user friendly. 

Again, thanks for the reply and tips!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Enegma1, thanks for reaching out to us and awesome work with the initial troubleshooting. 

Could you try reinstalling the desktop app after temporarily closing any third party apps that could be hindering the installation? 

Could you also make sure that there aren't any background processes in your Task Manager (Windows OS) or Activity Monitor (Mac OS) that could be interfering? 

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Enegma1
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Lusil,

Appreciate the response. I actually managed to successfully remove and reinstall the app after using a third party program to remove all traces of the initial install. For other users who face similar issues, the program in question is Revo Uninstaller. My understanding is that certain essential files were corrupted from the virus attack, but I do hope future versions of dropbox makes the uninstallation process a little bit more user friendly. 

Again, thanks for the reply and tips!

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @Enegma1, and awesome work with the troubleshooting! 

If anything else comes up in the future, don't hesitate to give us another shout. 

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kirkinriola10
Explorer | Level 3

As an older neophyte who wanted to be able to share my many photos, a friend suggested I use Dropbox. Two days ago I went on their site , opened an account and clicked on 'download the desktop app'. To my horror everything on my computer - documents, downloads, libraries, etc., all my files and photos were transferred to Dropbox and did not stop until I was informed I had run out of space and needed to upgrade for more.

In a panic I started to delete but could not complete it.

All I want is to start from scratch, be able to transfer photos through Dropbox and not have everything else on Dropbox. I am concerned about security with everything exposed in Dropbox - am I being paranoid?

I saw a post from a community member mentioning REVO UNINSTALLER and would love a step by step instruction on how to do this.

Looking forward to getting help in this area.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kirkinriola10 Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
    Enegma1 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?