cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access a newly joined Business account from the app

Unable to access a newly joined Business account from the app

lisabassenmache
Helpful | Level 5

I currently have my personal dropbox loaded on my desktop. I recently joined a company who gave me access to their business account, using a different login name. I can login, see everything and download it just fine. However, I can't seem to get the desktop app working. I've hit install and and gone through the whole process, but nothing comes of it. I never get prompted to login and I can't seem to add it to my sidebar. I work on a Mac. Please help!

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Desktop App

Norah
Dropboxer

Hi lisabassenmache, welcome to Dropbox Community!

Can you please clarify, have you been accessing your desktop app through the desktop application? Where are you seeing everything, is it on the web interface? 

Dropbox automatically adds a shortcut to the "Places" menu in the sidebar in Finder when it is installed, but if you don't have one for whatever reason it is simple to add it back.

To do so, just drag the Dropbox folder itself into the sidebar. The Dropbox folder can be found in your "Home" folder, the folder named after your computer user name. When you drag it in, you should see a blue line with a dot at the beginning indicating where the shortcut will be placed.

Just be careful not to move the Dropbox folder itself (such as to the Desktop, or any other location on your computer) because then the Dropbox software won't know where it is.

A screenshot of your entire screen here (omitting any personal information) would be very helpful in order to have a better image of what is going on. 

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

lisabassenmache
Helpful | Level 5

Hello! Thank you for your response. I figured out the issue. Basically, I had to link the two accounts online, sign out of my desktop and resign in to link them. Because I was already signed in, the desktop app wasn't identifying the business account. All is working. Thanks!

Norah
Dropboxer

I’m glad you figured out what the issue was and everything is working fine!

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions and have a great week ahead! 

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

JPerlmutter
New member | Level 2

Thank you - that did it

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

7 Replies 7

Norah
Dropboxer

Hi lisabassenmache, welcome to Dropbox Community!

Can you please clarify, have you been accessing your desktop app through the desktop application? Where are you seeing everything, is it on the web interface? 

Dropbox automatically adds a shortcut to the "Places" menu in the sidebar in Finder when it is installed, but if you don't have one for whatever reason it is simple to add it back.

To do so, just drag the Dropbox folder itself into the sidebar. The Dropbox folder can be found in your "Home" folder, the folder named after your computer user name. When you drag it in, you should see a blue line with a dot at the beginning indicating where the shortcut will be placed.

Just be careful not to move the Dropbox folder itself (such as to the Desktop, or any other location on your computer) because then the Dropbox software won't know where it is.

A screenshot of your entire screen here (omitting any personal information) would be very helpful in order to have a better image of what is going on. 

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

lisabassenmache
Helpful | Level 5

Hello! Thank you for your response. I figured out the issue. Basically, I had to link the two accounts online, sign out of my desktop and resign in to link them. Because I was already signed in, the desktop app wasn't identifying the business account. All is working. Thanks!

Norah
Dropboxer

I’m glad you figured out what the issue was and everything is working fine!

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions and have a great week ahead! 

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

lisabassenmache
Helpful | Level 5
Thank you, you too!

JPerlmutter
New member | Level 2

Can you clarify how this was fixed? I am having the same issue and cannot follow the steps to resolve it.

Thanks

lisabassenmache
Helpful | Level 5

First, I logged onto the business dropbox account. In the lower left corner it asks you if you want to sync a personal dropbox to your business account. You can't sync a business with personal, but you can a personal with business. Once you establish that they are connected, I went to the dropbox icon at the top right hand of my computer (on a mac) and logged out of my desktop app. When I logged back in, the steps were clear to add both to my navigation. I felt so silly becuase it was so easy! Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Good luck!

JPerlmutter
New member | Level 2

Thank you - that did it

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JPerlmutter New member | Level 2
    lisabassenmache Helpful | Level 5
    Norah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?