cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to connect on a Mac device.

Explorer | Level 3

All of a sudden my dropbox app is stuck "Connecting". I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times now, no dice.

I looked at the instructions to do an advanced uninstall but i'm stuck at this command

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox

I get the terminal message "No such file or directory". I have both personal and work dropboxes synced on my mac. One is Dropbox (Personal) and one is Dropbox (Content and Creative). How do I target a folder that contains parenthesis? Then, do I need to run this command on both folders?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Unable to connect on a Mac device.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for the information provided!

Let’s try one more time the Advanced reinstall following the steps here, ie: if you have your Dropbox folder in the path /Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox (Personal), you need to replace ~/Dropbox from the following instructions to "/Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox (Personal)" in order to ensure that you are taking the right steps.

Make sure you follow these steps for your (Personal) account and the (Business) account.

Let me know if this helps!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi @Brandon C.13, welcome to Dropbox Community!

Let’s double check a couple of details before we move forward on this matter.

For starters as I’m unsure on the exact steps you have taken (in regards to the uninstallation/reinstallation), I’d recommend giving our Offline installer a try.

In order to get going with that, please make sure you save and quit ALL programs that access files in the Dropbox folder and download the newest version here. Then Stop Dropbox (If needed):

Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen 
- Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'

Following, you may delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. (Note: You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action.) & reinstall the Dropbox desktop application

- Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon.

- Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.

Additionally, could you provide me with a screenshot of the Connecting” message you are receiving?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling dropbox a couple times using the steps you mentioned. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b23np5nrcn12cv9/dropbox.mov?dl=0

^What i'm seeing. I'm not able to access the "Preferences" section at all. Strangely enough, I downloaded the beta version of dropbox (uninstalled since) just to see if it would work. For some reason, the preferences menu did work for me with the beta version. It was still stuck on "Connecting" however.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for the information provided!

Let’s try one more time the Advanced reinstall following the steps here, ie: if you have your Dropbox folder in the path /Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox (Personal), you need to replace ~/Dropbox from the following instructions to "/Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox (Personal)" in order to ensure that you are taking the right steps.

Make sure you follow these steps for your (Personal) account and the (Business) account.

Let me know if this helps!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Yep, that did the trick!

Thank you!
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey Brandon C.13, welcome back!

I’m glad that helped! Feel free to update us if you need anything further.

Have a great weekend ahead! 

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?