cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to edit Excel files

Highlighted

Unable to edit Excel files

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I can see any other Dropbox document I posted or that others have posted- PDF, etc. But I just started having a problem with opening/downloading an Excel file that I need to make changes to.

I can SEE it in the file list, click on it and view the data, but when I click OPEN, it sits, waits a bit, and then says it can't open and that the file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. However, the person who shared it with me is able to open and edit and even re-shared the file - took it completely out of Dropbox and put it back in.

I also checked another Excel file and found I had the same problem - doesn't happen with any other file type.

HELP?!?!?!

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi Julie,

I was just going through some older posts and realised that this one was never answered. Was your issue resolved in the meantime? Sorry it took so long to get a response.

Regards,

Dom

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

When opening an excel file from Dropbox, the file open successfully however I am enable to edit the document. I cannot click anywhere in the document, change sheets or do anything in the document.

If I copy the same file to my hard-drive (unlinked to Dropbox), it works.

Please can you someone assist.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I'm having the same problem. Upgraded to Windows 10 pro free. Put fresh install of dropbox 3.16.1 on. When I launch excel 2010 from a file in my dropbox folder (C:\user\..\dropbox\excel file), excel freezes. It shows the page and data but it is totally non functional. That is, I cannot move between cells or edit or change worksheets. If I close the dropbox app, my excel sheet returns to normal and works fine. If I reopen the app the sheet re-freezes after a few seconds. This only happens with synced folders. Excel runs normally for all files opened outside the dropbox folder, with or without dropbox running. No other file types appear to suffer in my situation. Just my Excel ones.

My work around is to open the excel file without dropbox running. Modify the file then close it. Then run dropbox and allow it to upload the fresh changes. I don't want to have to keep doing this or going over to Microsoft's cloud service. Can anyone help?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Had same issue.  Excel workbook in Dropbox, opened file but couldn't do anything on the screen, even with the function tabs.  There was a Dropbox box to the right of the screen, the "bridge" where it lets you know about when the file was last edited, etc.  I clicked through that dialog box (I think there are 3 pages of tutorial) and when I finished, I was able to edit the Excel workbook, and other Excel workbooks in other Dropbox folders!  I hope this works for you, too.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Thanks Gin Y for your comment. Just a question, where did you find the box? Is it something that shows up only briefly when changes are acknowledged by dropbox? I can click on the little icon in the notification area but can't find a tutorial there. On my excel sheet (opened from dropbox) there is no dropbox window or box or bridge to the right that I can see.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

David, 

Naturally, I can't replicate it...

I clicked on the Dropbox icon that shows up on the right side of the screen in the middle.  I clicked on it and it had a "more" option (or something like that), which talks about a bridge when someone else is making updates in the folder or on the same workbook.  I went through the tutorial/steps where it talks about what else Dropbox is capable of and so forth, and when I got through that I was really surprised that I could edit the Excel workbook, like it got unlocked.  I hope it works for you.  I was pretty frustrated before.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Just discovered something in preferences. "Dropbox Badge always show" was enabled but I haven't seen the badge at any time since installation. I selected enable again and clicked ok and now my excel file works. How strange! But happy

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

David, thanks for the tip!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?