cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to edit .docx document on iPhone

Unable to edit .docx document on iPhone

Jonny21
Explorer | Level 3

Unable to edit Word document from Dropbox. If i tap on the file it asks me if I want to open with MS Word. It opens the doc but in read only mode and i cannot edit. I have dropbox linked to MS Office, and I can edit it on my laptop and iPad but not iPhone.

4 Replies 4

Re: Unable to edit .docx document on iPhone

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @Jonny21, and welcome to our Community!

Since the problem happens within the Microsoft application, this sounds like an issue on their side. However, I'm more than happy to see if there's anything I can do to help.

Can you make sure that your iPhone is running the latest version of OS (14.4.2 for newer devices), and that you’re on our latest app version 230.2.2

I would also see if there’s an update for your mobile Office suite.

Keep me posted on what you find!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jonny21
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori

both application and OS are up to date.

When dropbox opens a document it appears with at the bottom a square icon and an arrow pointing from the centre of the square to the top right of the square.When I tap on this icon I get asked "open with" and the choice is Microsoft Word and Cancel. When I tap Word, I see a flash of the orange of the MS Office icon and te document opens but I cannot edit it. 

When I Tried creating a document it fails and states "Failed to create a new file

The name "document.docx" is already taken. OK."

Jonny21
Explorer | Level 3

Forget the last sentence - that was me being unfamiliar with Dropbox.

I created a new Word document and it opened and I could edit it.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Jonny21, thank you for all the info!

If you could send us a screenshot (without any personal info) of the issue, that would be super helpful. 

Can you also try going to File > Word Options > Trust Center and click on Protected View and uncheck the boxes?

Waiting for your updates on this!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    Jonny21 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?