cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to edit word documents on iPad / Microsoft word

Unable to edit word documents on iPad / Microsoft word

AdamFerg
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I am using Dropbox (v206.5) on my iPad (up to date with IOS 14.01) and for most word documents I am able to open them from Dropbox app and edit them in word with no problem.  Periodically, when I open them, the document will open in word, but I am unable to make changes to the document (can't even type or change text).  I have checked to make sure that the documents are not "read only" and I when I try to open the documents on another device (my iMac), I am able to open and modify the documents with no problem.  I have also check to make sure that the documents are not open on any other device.  I have also tried to uninstall and re-install both the Microsoft word app and the Dropbox app on my iPad.  Any other ideas on what may be going on?  thanks in advance.

27 Replies 27

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @AdamFerg, thanks for posting!

Just to clarify, are you opening the files using the "Open" button when viewing the file in the Dropbox app?

Also, is this occurring with specific files sometimes when opening them, or does it appear to be random files?

If you can, please send along a screenshot of how the file appears when it's showing "read only".

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AdamFerg
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, I am clicking the "open" button.

At first it seemed like it was intermittent files but now it's every word file in the Dropbox folder that is shared between myself and 3 other people.  The file attributes are definitely not set to "read only", and I am able to edit them from a PC and an iMac just fine without issue. 

When I open the file using the "open button" on my iPad, it opens Microsoft Word app which I am signed into using a 365 subscription. When I tap the screen to move the cursor to where I want to edit, the keyboard simply does not respond. I cannot type, backspace, delete or edit in any way. I also tried to export a copy of the file locally to my iPad and the exact same thing happens.  

Thank you Daphne, this is pretty inhibitory to my workflow and your assistance is appreciated

AdamFerg
Explorer | Level 4

It must be something with either the Dropbox app or the Microsoft word app.  I deleted the Dropbox for iPad app and went to the site via the website and I am able to open the files with "word for the web" and modify them without any issues.  I had to delete the Dropbox app to open in "word for the web" otherwise when I clicked the link, automatically opened the Dropbox app, which forces me to use the word app.  

I'm not sure why everything works fine with the dropbox webpage / word for the web, and not in the app...

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to me here @AdamFerg!

I have seen the issue you're experiencing here on the Community before, which was due to not being signed into the Microsoft app.

However, I understand that you mentioned already being signed into your account via the app. 

Since reinstalling the apps, could you please just double check that this is indeed the case, that you're signed into your Microsoft account via the app?

If so, are you seeing a "read only" banner when viewing the file within Word for any of your files (locally or from Dropbox)?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Cleanfire
New member | Level 2

I am having this exact issue and have worked through the steps outlined here without the issue being solved.  Did this ever get resolved?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @Cleanfire; thanks for joining the discussion here and sorry to hear about this.

Can you please let us know if you're getting any specific error and if so, send us a screenshot so that we can have a look?

While we're at it, can you confirm you're using the most up to date versions of your device's OS and both the Word apps and our mobile app for iPadOS as well?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

AdamFerg
Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne @Walter Confirming that I am indeed logged into my Microsoft 365 account and the "read only" banner is not shown.  The only thing that happens is when I go to modify the document, it will not let me change anything. 

When I open the document through the dropbox website into Microsoft Word, I can modify the document without any issues - I only have the problem when using the dropbox app.  

Further, it would be nice to have the choice to open documents through the app with a different word processor, like Pages.  Not sure if that is in the works or can be passed to the development team. I'm sure I can't be the only one with that request given that Microsoft requires a subscription and Pages does not. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Would you mind sending a screenshot of what you see when you try and edit the file @AdamFerg? Even perhaps a short screen recording.

Also, you should be able to open the file in other apps, like Pages, by exporting with these steps.

If you try exporting the file to Pages, or another app, do you have the same trouble editing it?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Skemp117
New member | Level 2

I am having this problem as well. The word document can be opened and edited on my Mac and my PC with no problem. It can be opened on my iPad but not edited. If I click the three dots in the top right, auto save is grayed out and it says Read Only mode. This document is not in read only mode. Nobody else is using it, it’s not open anywhere else. I’ve restarted 1000 times. I am logged in to Microsoft office (I have 2 accounts and I tried both). This must be a problem with the dropbox app.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lukeharrison112 New member | Level 2
    Starling Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?