cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find out whether dropbox is syncing or not on a Centos 8

Unable to find out whether dropbox is syncing or not on a Centos 8

cminima
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone,

I did a succesfull install of Dropbox in my new Centos 8 machine using the instructions in https://vitux.com/how-to-install-dropbox-through-flatpak-on-centos-8-0/. Then, I can find Dropbox in applications, and I linked it succesfully to my account, and saw the creation of the dropbox folder and it has obviously started to sync as there are many things there, but not yet all of them. However, I am left with a few doubts:

1) I suspect unless I run the application everytime on startup, it is not automatically starting

2) As there are no icons shown in either the gnome bar or in the nautilus, I cannot now which is the sync status

So in order to try to solve 1 and 2 I am trying to use the dropbox.py cli interface, but at this moment it keeps saying when I do dropbox status that dropbox is not running, and seeing in a top a process called dropbox that is consuming a reasonable amount of cpu and ram makes me wonder whether the issue is more that the dropbox-cli and my actual dropbox installation are not connected??? I hope I did explain myself but otherwise let me know what else information can I give in order to help the community help me 🙂 best!

5 Replies 5

Re: Unable to find out whether dropbox is syncing or not on a Centos 8

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @cminima, let's see what we can do here. 

If you've made sure that you're running the essential requirements for Linux, could you also check that there's no antivirus or security app preventing you from running the desktop app?

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cminima
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil, thanks for your message.

My system is Centos 8, with GNOME Version 3.32.2. The app is working, in the sense that I linked succesfully my account, and obviously at some point it has synchronised some of the files. But, as I don not see any icon on the top (even if I installed the topicons extension), nautilus does not show any indicator of file sync as does in mac or windows, and also, as in the terminal typing dropbox is not finding the command, I do not have means of knowing whether it is synchronising or not and which files. After starting the application I see with a top command that there is a dropbox process that is spending quite some cpu so I am guessing it is,  but I would like to be able to control it. I also downloaded the dropbox-cli but it would say dropbox is not running (and it is). So I am quite confused about this.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Would any of the commands mentioned in this article do the trick for you?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cminima
Explorer | Level 3

Running most of those commands under the root /myhome/Dropbox directory will print a message saying: Dropbox isn't running! but then again there clearly is a dropbox process running the computer.

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @cminima, as we only officially support Ubuntu and Fedora installations, the amount of support we can provided is limited to what we've already mentioned previously. 

I'll leave the thread open for other users to contribute their suggestions.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    cminima Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?