cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install Dropbox on Windows 10 - The installer encountered error 2

Unable to install Dropbox on Windows 10 - The installer encountered error 2

MarianR
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 Home 20H2 19042.985.  I kept receiving a message that Dropbox needed to be updated.  So, finally I tried it.  It would download and run and close right away.  I tried all sorts of things to try and get it installed.  I was able to start the install when I booted in Safe mode with Networking turned on.

I tried both the installer that downloads the image, and the one that indicates it is a full install with no network connection required (which is false, it would not run unless I was connected to the internet.

I have finally goto the point where the installer does download things and then runs.  But then the following error comes up:

MarianR_0-1621778783005.png

When OK is clicked I get the following:

MarianR_1-1621779063140.png

I have the latest version of Chrome, which is my default browser.  If you notice the above image it is Windows Explorer that opens up.  I updated Edge to the latest version, FireFox, etc.  Nothing works.  

I have read a lot of updates in the community with people who have gotten the same errors.  I have tried many of them with no success.  Is there a really true offline installer that needs no internet connect?  Then once I get it installed I could boot out of safe mode and make the connection to my Dropbox account?

Or, is there a way to correct the error?  Right now the only way I can access Dropbox is via the Web browser.  

Any help you can give so that I can get this installed will be appreciated.

Marian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

MarianR
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello Everyone,

Just in case someone finds this thread later on and reads it.  I worked with the technical support team and was able to get  Dropbox installed.

What they had me do was create a brand new Administrator user, reboot  and installing Dropbox from there.  To see if that would work, it did.

I rebooted my PC again, signed in with my regular id and finished the configuration of Dropbox - signing in getting sync going.  

I will now have to try and figure out what happened with my normal Administrator profile I log in with every day.  That is outside the scope of Dropbox support, and I totally understand that.  At least Dropbox helped me get their application installed and working by providing good recommendations.

Thank you Dropbox Support for helping me get it working, it took time but that's ok at least I got it working.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @MarianR, thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

I'm not sure if this will work, but can you temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall you may have running and try to install our desktop app from this page

If that won't improve matters, you can also have a look at this discussion.

Keep me posted anyhow, Marian!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MarianR
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

I have recently been trying my installs in SAFE MODE, and I have tried both the regular and the offline installs, so no anti virus or firewalls are active.  I have read through a lot of the threads in the community for this error, before even opening this.  So far nothing has worked.  I tried the one you pointed to and I am still getting the exact same error.  I tried looking for the log files, The only place I found a Dropbox folder was in:
%LOCALAPPDATA%

No Program File directories were created for Dropbox when I ran the install, so there is nothing there to look at.  Plus, I can not try the part about setting the path.

Within the Dropbox folder only logs and instance_db had anything in it.

In the logs folder is a file called 1-d6ac-60abaa77  (no extension)  I tried dragging it in here but received a message the file type is not supported.

I can send the log file to you if you think it would help, I just need to know what extension to put on it, so that it won't get corrupted.

I have tried so many different things and nothing has worked.  I really would like to get Dropbox working again.  Is it possible to try a version of the install (offline) that is a little older,  that wouldn't insist on an upgrade?

Unless you have other suggestions that are new, and have not been posted yet to the community,  I have all ready tried a lot of them.  

Kindest R

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for keeping me in the loop on this @MarianR

May I reach out via email to have a further look into this matter with device specific information?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

MarianR
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

Yes you may, just make sure the subject line says  Unable to install Dropbox on Windows 10 - The installer encountered error 2

Just so I recognize it and don't delete it.

Kindest Regards,

Marian 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Just before we switch to email for further investigation, could you try the installer from this page, Marian?

It's the most recent, stable version of our desktop app which just got out yesterday. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

MarianR
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

I am downloading the offline version right now.  I will give it a try later today and report back the results. 

Thanks

Marian

user918384
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Did it work, Marian?

I have the same issue but in Windows 7.

MarianR
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

Sorry, it has taken me a bit to reply.  Sad to say it did not work.  The error regarding the incompatible browser is gone, but I am still getting The installer encountered error 2.  When I click on more help I now get the generic page on what to do if Dropbox does not install.

Kindest Regards,

Marian

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the updates, Marian!

I've just sent you an email to have a further look into this internally. 

On that note, if you're still having issues with this as well, let me know here and I'll send you an email too @user918384

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    divakar New member | Level 2
    erzzzzzzz New member | Level 2
    user918384 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?