cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install Dropbox on Windows 10 - The installer encountered error 2

Unable to install Dropbox on Windows 10 - The installer encountered error 2

MarianR
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 Home 20H2 19042.985.  I kept receiving a message that Dropbox needed to be updated.  So, finally I tried it.  It would download and run and close right away.  I tried all sorts of things to try and get it installed.  I was able to start the install when I booted in Safe mode with Networking turned on.

I tried both the installer that downloads the image, and the one that indicates it is a full install with no network connection required (which is false, it would not run unless I was connected to the internet.

I have finally goto the point where the installer does download things and then runs.  But then the following error comes up:

MarianR_0-1621778783005.png

When OK is clicked I get the following:

MarianR_1-1621779063140.png

I have the latest version of Chrome, which is my default browser.  If you notice the above image it is Windows Explorer that opens up.  I updated Edge to the latest version, FireFox, etc.  Nothing works.  

I have read a lot of updates in the community with people who have gotten the same errors.  I have tried many of them with no success.  Is there a really true offline installer that needs no internet connect?  Then once I get it installed I could boot out of safe mode and make the connection to my Dropbox account?

Or, is there a way to correct the error?  Right now the only way I can access Dropbox is via the Web browser.  

Any help you can give so that I can get this installed will be appreciated.

Marian

20 Replies 20

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @divakar, thanks for commenting here. 

Can I email you, so we can look into this?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    divakar New member | Level 2
    erzzzzzzz New member | Level 2
    user918384 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?