cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to remove drobox folder from system with no dropbox installed

Unable to remove drobox folder from system with no dropbox installed

V_Shadow
Explorer | Level 4

I have 2 old dropbox folders (don’t know how I got 2) on a secondary drive that I was wanting to merge newer/ not in other folder, files into one folder and delete the extra files.

However, whenever I try to do this I get an initial error saying I needed to be an admin (which I am) followed by another saying I did not have permission and needed permission from a string of numbers and dashes.

As it stands I do not have dropbox installed as I uninstalled to see if it would fix the issue, which it has not.

I noticed these issues when I was installing and trying to move my dropbox folder storage location to the secondary harddrive due to having to reinstall windows recently, but had the “dropbox directory already exists” error.

Any help will be appreciated

Update:

Installed dropbox again and managed to transfer all but 2 shared folders over. It seems to be these folders causing issues.  I have tried to unsync them but it only seems to work with the main (new) folder, which has left me with 2 extra folders (as seen in linked picture) with copies of the same massive folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnyj0opl1yty95d/dropboxissue.png?dl=0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to remove drobox folder from system with no dropbox installed

Rich
Super User II

The string of numbers is called a SID, or security identifier. It's the identifier for a Windows account on your computer. Under normal circumstances it would tell you the actual account name there. When the SID is shown instead, it usually means that the account being referenced no longer exists.

You stated that you've reinstalled Windows. Even if you recreated your account with the same username, the SID for that account would be different. It's the old SID, from your old Windows install, that "owns" the folder, even if the username is the same. That's why you're getting that message.

You'll likely need to take ownership of the folder before you can do anything with it. Be sure to check the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box when you do, so that it applies to everything within the folder as well. See the following link for instructions:

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey V_Shadow

Thanks for the detailed description and the screenshot, it helped a lot! 

As per your screenshot, just keep in mind that only your first folder :white_check_mark: is syncing with your account online. The rest two folders are just regular folders on your computer and any change only applies locally. 

To my mind, these folders aren't currently syncing to the website, so you're probably unable to transfer them because there is an application that has been accessing or modifying them in the background, hence preventing the move. 

Would you mind quitting all other applications from your Task Manager and attempt to relocate those two folders? 

If you experience any issues, just let me know in your reply here. 

Warm regards, 
JaneA 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

V_Shadow
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply.

Tried turning everything off but my antivirus and anything that looked windows related off and its still not working. This only seems to be happening with 2 folders that I have worked out were view (read) only.

Here is a screen shot of the full permission error after I have already told it to delete in administrator mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zyf2v6h1xd5jqy/dropboxpermissionerror.png?dl=0

Might have a look at seeing if booting up in safe mode and trying to remove it does anything but I am a little short of time right now so will have to try that later.

V_Shadow
Explorer | Level 4

I have now also tried safe mode and had the same message as the picture shown.
is this something to do with folder settings maybe?

Rich
Super User II

The string of numbers is called a SID, or security identifier. It's the identifier for a Windows account on your computer. Under normal circumstances it would tell you the actual account name there. When the SID is shown instead, it usually means that the account being referenced no longer exists.

You stated that you've reinstalled Windows. Even if you recreated your account with the same username, the SID for that account would be different. It's the old SID, from your old Windows install, that "owns" the folder, even if the username is the same. That's why you're getting that message.

You'll likely need to take ownership of the folder before you can do anything with it. Be sure to check the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box when you do, so that it applies to everything within the folder as well. See the following link for instructions:

V_Shadow
Explorer | Level 4

@Rich wrote:

Yep you are spot on it was an issue of the original user not being recognised and me having to go in and take over. Thanks so much for the help it has helped to remove a lot of junk from my hard drive.  

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

V_Shadow Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Jane Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?