cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to save files from Word to company Dropbox account on a network drive

Explorer | Level 3

This is a completely repeatable fault, and has occurred on two different pcs.

I frequently have to create documents in Word, and save them to the companies business Dropbox.

So my process is 

1. Create document in word
  2. Select "File; Save As" and save to the company dropbox

Perfectly normal process.

If I then try to open a file from the company server ( mapped to z: ) then the pc refuses and has lost connection to this drive.

The only way to restore this is to reboot my pc.

Anybody got any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Network mapping lost under Windows 10

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey stuartindigo, thanks for getting in touch with us here, I hope you’re doing well today! 

I understand that you’d need some additional assistance on this issue & for that reason I’ve made sure to create a Support Request on our system on your behalf, so as to focus on the issue in question based on the info I have on my tools for your account & move forward together. Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you from where we’ve left off here. 

Thanks again for posting on the Community & I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of the day ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
If you go through the same process but save the file to a location outside of your Dropbox, do you still lose the mapped drive?

Dropbox has no interaction with networked drives so it can't unmap them. It doesn't even support networked drives. I'm betting that it's something with Office or another function on the computer.

Side note... you usually don't need to reboot just to restore a mapped drive. Either rerun the login script (log off and back on) or map it manually in Explorer or from the CMD prompt using "net use z: \\servername\folder\path". Typing "net use" by itself while it's already mapped will show you the full path.
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Saving to a local drive, the network drive, or even Sharepoint does not have the same effect. Already run that sort of test.

This only happens with Dropbox, and has happened on 2 pcs I've had here (I got this brand new one because the IT company couldn't work out why it was happening on my old one).

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Ok, it would appear to be a problem with the dropbox office add-in.

If I save it locally, and transfer it across using file explorer, there is no problem.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey stuartindigo, thanks for getting in touch with us here, I hope you’re doing well today! 

I understand that you’d need some additional assistance on this issue & for that reason I’ve made sure to create a Support Request on our system on your behalf, so as to focus on the issue in question based on the info I have on my tools for your account & move forward together. Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you from where we’ve left off here. 

Thanks again for posting on the Community & I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of the day ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?