cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to search Desktop App from Explorer

Unable to search Desktop App from Explorer

PhDBlonde
Helpful | Level 5

Dear Community: 

I'm probably going to have to roll back the the most recent Windows update, but I'm not there yet. 

I am unable to search my Personal Dropbox Folders in the Desktop App.  This has been working flawlessly for about 10 years (I pay for the 1 TB service). 

Now, I am unable to search anything in Dropbox from the Desktop App.  

I re-indexed my entire system and included the Dropbox folder (as it has always been included).  I've changed nothing.  

Does anyone have a solution / suggestion that might be useful?  What have I missed? 

I hate Google and OneDrive, now I'm about to hate Dropbox and Microsoft.  

Please help.  

Thank you, 

Linda

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to search Desktop App from Explorer

PhDBlonde
Helpful | Level 5

Jane

Thanks for reaching out to me.  As to the indexing,

I follow the standard set of recommendations from Microsoft to perform the indexing.  

I search for settings (Windows 10) and then indexing options.  In include the C: drive (in the USERS area) where Dropbox's desktop app lives on my computer.  I insure to include the Dropbox folder.  Then I wait about 100-years for a gazillion files to index.  (I've tried to narrow things down, but I'm a clutter-bug with files--cannot have enough redundancy).  Anyhow, I index my C: drive and two external hard drives (I know--WTF right? I'm basically lazy since I'm not a full-time geek.  In over 20 years I’ve lost more files than socks). 

Whenever I've re-indexed, I've not ever had a problem with Dropbox. Some long-ago update wiped out ability to search in the Cortana area.  I never cared because I was still successful with Explorer (right, I would love to re-install Windows 10-that ship sailed). I indexed and re-indexed and still got Dropbox to search successfully.  

Dropbox and PoBox.Com are like my two best friends.  

As to the question about searching other files, yes, I can search other folder locations without issue. 

• With an Explorer search of the C: drive I use the term CORE and get hits for 'coregen.exe'  
  • With an Explorer search of one of the external drives (G:) using the term CORE I hit 'core.pdf'
  • With an Explorer search of Dropbox using the term CORE I hit ' No items match your search'

Ran Check for interfering bugs and malware that might be blocking search

• Ran Spy-Bot S&D free version (only thing that actually works)-problems noted (see Photo 1 insert). IronInstall.Toolbar.Amazon
  • Ran Spy-Bot 'fix selected'
  • Checked https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?68495-Manual-Removal-Guide-for-IronInstall-Toolbar-Amazon 
  • for Manual removal.  Not able to find the files indicated for manual removal-they are hidden
  • Ran Malwarebytes and quarantined several bugs to include Chrome extensions that remained after Spy-Bot.
  • Malwarebytes log available upon request.
  • No impact to Explorer search in Dropbox.
  • Ran Spy-Bot S&D again.
  • No more bugginess

Impact to Dropbox?  None.  Still cannot search using Explorer

Hypothesized that if there are now no bugs, possible existing bugs interfered with Dropbox

Re-Indexed | WORKS NOW

Photo 1Spybot-S&D Scan of PhDBlonde.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey Linda (PhDBlonde), I’d happily further look into that with you & help you in any way I can; I hope my message finds you well!

Just so as to make sure I’m following-up with you accurately, can you let me know of the steps you followed to re-index your system? (Note: I could see that there are various ways to accomplish that based on a quick search I run on my end.) Any detail you could send me in regards to the troubleshooting you’ve done on our own would be very helpful, so as to narrow down the possible causes. 

Additionally, are you receiving a different behavior elsewhere on your desktop (i.e. on a different location) when using the Windows Explorer search functionality? 

Once I have this extra info, I’ll do my best to look into that further with you; I’ll be awaiting your next message here! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

PhDBlonde
Helpful | Level 5

Jane

Thanks for reaching out to me.  As to the indexing,

I follow the standard set of recommendations from Microsoft to perform the indexing.  

I search for settings (Windows 10) and then indexing options.  In include the C: drive (in the USERS area) where Dropbox's desktop app lives on my computer.  I insure to include the Dropbox folder.  Then I wait about 100-years for a gazillion files to index.  (I've tried to narrow things down, but I'm a clutter-bug with files--cannot have enough redundancy).  Anyhow, I index my C: drive and two external hard drives (I know--WTF right? I'm basically lazy since I'm not a full-time geek.  In over 20 years I’ve lost more files than socks). 

Whenever I've re-indexed, I've not ever had a problem with Dropbox. Some long-ago update wiped out ability to search in the Cortana area.  I never cared because I was still successful with Explorer (right, I would love to re-install Windows 10-that ship sailed). I indexed and re-indexed and still got Dropbox to search successfully.  

Dropbox and PoBox.Com are like my two best friends.  

As to the question about searching other files, yes, I can search other folder locations without issue. 

• With an Explorer search of the C: drive I use the term CORE and get hits for 'coregen.exe'  
  • With an Explorer search of one of the external drives (G:) using the term CORE I hit 'core.pdf'
  • With an Explorer search of Dropbox using the term CORE I hit ' No items match your search'

Ran Check for interfering bugs and malware that might be blocking search

• Ran Spy-Bot S&D free version (only thing that actually works)-problems noted (see Photo 1 insert). IronInstall.Toolbar.Amazon
  • Ran Spy-Bot 'fix selected'
  • Checked https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?68495-Manual-Removal-Guide-for-IronInstall-Toolbar-Amazon 
  • for Manual removal.  Not able to find the files indicated for manual removal-they are hidden
  • Ran Malwarebytes and quarantined several bugs to include Chrome extensions that remained after Spy-Bot.
  • Malwarebytes log available upon request.
  • No impact to Explorer search in Dropbox.
  • Ran Spy-Bot S&D again.
  • No more bugginess

Impact to Dropbox?  None.  Still cannot search using Explorer

Hypothesized that if there are now no bugs, possible existing bugs interfered with Dropbox

Re-Indexed | WORKS NOW

Photo 1Spybot-S&D Scan of PhDBlonde.png

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @PhDBlonde - thanks for your elaborate response!

Sorry to ask, but have you been able to resolve your concern in the end? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

PhDBlonde
Helpful | Level 5

Yes, I am resolved.  The issue for me was "trojan virus" 

Walter
Dropboxer

Glad to hear this @PhDBlonde - I know trojans can some times be a ...hurdle. 

In any case, thank you for sharing your whole troubleshooting process - I think it might help other users in as well in the future!

I'm also letting my colleague Jane know that you managed to resolve this; thanks for keeping us posted Linda. 

:rainbow: Keep Dropboxing and have a lovely day :rainbow:

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    PhDBlonde Helpful | Level 5
    Jane Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?