cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set existing dropbox folder on external hard disk upon re-installation of Dropbox

Unable to set existing dropbox folder on external hard disk upon re-installation of Dropbox

jobjansweijer
Explorer | Level 4

I have my Dropbox files (600GB+) on an external hard disk.

After a re-install of dropbox, there is never an option to set which folder should be your dropbox folder. It just installs at C:/Users/[username]/Dropbox. 

I'd like it to be at my external disk: F:/Dropbox, where the files already are. When I try to set the right location at Preferences > Account > Movie I get the following error message:

"This folder already contains a dropbox directory".

How do I fix this, without having to re-sync all my files?

Thanks in advance...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to set existing dropbox folder on external hard disk upon re-installation of Dropbox

Rich
Super User II

jobjansweijer wrote:

After a re-install of dropbox, there is never an option to set which folder should be your dropbox folder.

There is, actually. During the installation, after you enter your log in information, there's an Advance Options link at the bottom of the window. This allows you to specify the location for your Dropbox folder.

When I try to set the right location at Preferences > Account > Movie I get the following error message:

Rename the existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar. Within Dropbox preferences, move the Dropbox folder to the location that you want it to be in. Dropbox will immediately start to download your files. Pause syncing or exit the Dropbox client. Move everything in your Dropbox_OLD folder to the newly created Dropbox folder. Resume syncing or relaunch the Dropbox client. Give it time to re-index your files. It will appear that it's uploading or downloading, but it's only transfering changed files and comparison data.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: Unable to set existing dropbox folder on external hard disk upon re-installation of Dropbox

Fearg
Dropboxer
Hi,

Please check out our Help Centre article about moving the location of your Dropbox folder here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/89

Also check your external drive to see if there is an old Dropbox folder on it that may be blocking a move.

Thanks,
Fearg

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

jobjansweijer
Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. There is an 'old' dropbox folder in that location. That's the folder I want to set as my dropbox folder, as all the files are already in there. So it's not so much about moving the folder, but more about telling Dropbox what the right folder is (so I don't need to re-sync 600GB+ of files that are already on the disk).

Rich
Super User II

jobjansweijer wrote:

After a re-install of dropbox, there is never an option to set which folder should be your dropbox folder.

There is, actually. During the installation, after you enter your log in information, there's an Advance Options link at the bottom of the window. This allows you to specify the location for your Dropbox folder.

When I try to set the right location at Preferences > Account > Movie I get the following error message:

Rename the existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar. Within Dropbox preferences, move the Dropbox folder to the location that you want it to be in. Dropbox will immediately start to download your files. Pause syncing or exit the Dropbox client. Move everything in your Dropbox_OLD folder to the newly created Dropbox folder. Resume syncing or relaunch the Dropbox client. Give it time to re-index your files. It will appear that it's uploading or downloading, but it's only transfering changed files and comparison data.

jobjansweijer
Explorer | Level 4

You're a lifesaver, thanks! I'll try this when I get home.

I did search for the 'Advance Options' link, actually, because I read about it elsewhere, but didn't see it anywhere. Went trough the flow 2 or 3 times...

Anyway, your solution should work.. I hope!

jobjansweijer
Explorer | Level 4

This worked...! Thanks! 🙂

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jobjansweijer Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Fearg Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?