cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to sign in Dropbox, fresh install, macOS Catalina, no firewall, no proxy

koogorah
Explorer | Level 3

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 10.29.24 PM.png

Greeting, 

I installed Dropbox on a new mac, but I'm unable to see the sign-in screen. I tried a few things I saw on forums, but these didn't work.

1. Change time, Change time zone, gave Dropbox full disk permission and control permission. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 10.31.41 PM.png

6 Replies 6

Re: Unable to sign in Dropbox, fresh install, macOS Catalina, no firewall, no proxy

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @koogorah; thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with signing into your account via the desktop app on your computer and thanks for sharing all the troubleshooting you have done so far.

As you've excluded most of the other factors here, could you let me know if you happen to be on the free, Basic plan which comes with a device limit of 3? 

If you're indeed on the Basic plan and trying to connect more than 3 devices to your account, you'll need to reduce the total number of devices on your account to below 3 before you can proceed with the installation on your new Mac.

If that's not the case, you can try a clean, advanced re-install as this might do the trick for you.

In any case, please keep me posted.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Unable to sign in Dropbox, fresh install, macOS Catalina, no firewall, no proxy

koogorah
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter , 

Thanks for your reply. 

At the moment I cannot even reach the sign-in screen, therefore it cannot have anything to do the plan size and number of devices. 

I tried a clean install, however, the codes would fail as Dropbox hasn't been able to create a folder in my user directory yet. I tried all other code lines as requested and did a fresh install. 

The issue still persists. 

Kind regards, 

Kunal 

koogorah
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter , 

Thanks for your reply. https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Unable-to-sign-in-Dropbox-fresh-instal...

At the moment I cannot even reach the sign-in screen, therefore it cannot have anything to do the plan size and number of devices. 

I tried a clean install, however, the codes would fail as Dropbox hasn't been able to create a folder in my user directory yet. I tried all other code lines as requested and did a fresh install. 

The issue still persists. 

Kind regards, 

Kunal 

Walter
Dropboxer

In that case, you could take a look at your account's Security tab on the website and un-link any devices that might be putting you over your account's limit, Kunal. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

koogorah
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter

I removed all the devices and left only 2. 

I still get the error message when I open Dropbox, I don't get the sign-in screen at all. 

Any other suggestions? 

Kind regards, 

Kunal

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop @koogorah

Could it be that there's an antivirus,a firewall or even a VPN/proxy setting that could be preventing our desktop application from connecting to the internet? 

Let me know what you find, Kunal.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?