cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to start Dropbox

Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

Every time I start my pc an error message appears, with a txt file attached, that I am copying and pasting here:

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 41.4.80
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: 19.0
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: failed
pid: 12260
cwd: u'C:\\WINDOWS\\SysWOW64'
real_path=u'C:\\WINDOWS\\SysWOW64'
mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: None
appdata: u'C:\\Users\\Laura\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
real_path=u'C:\\Users\\Laura\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
dropbox_path: u'C:\\Users\\Laura\\Dropbox'
real_path=u'C:\\Users\\Laura\\Dropbox'
mode=040555 uid=0 gid=0
sys_executable: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
mode=0100777 uid=0 gid=0
trace.__file__: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\python-packages-27.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\python-packages-27.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
TMP: C:\Users\Laura\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP: C:\Users\Laura\AppData\Local\Temp
tempdir: u'c:\\users\\laura\\appdata\\local\\temp'
real_path=u'c:\\users\\laura\\appdata\\local\\temp'
mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox\client\authentication\manager.pyc", line 581, in _try_register_host
File "dropbox\client\authentication\manager.pyc", line 733, in _on_register_host_success
File "dropbox\client\multiaccount\instance_database.pyc", line 1151, in set_shared_config
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 1014, in _runner
File "dropbox\client\multiaccount\instance_database.pyc", line 465, in set_shared_config
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 311, in execute
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 276, in _raise_better_operational_exception
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 306, in execute
OperationalError: database is locked

I can see Dropbox in Explorer, but it won't sync on this pc.

This problem started more or less when I installed Kaspersky free antivirus. Can this be interfering....?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards

Laura

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Unable to start Dropbox

Super User II
Super User II

lauraprincipal wrote:

This problem started more or less when I installed Kaspersky free antivirus. Can this be interfering....?

Absolutely! kaspersky has been known to interfere with Dropbox in the past. Temporarily disable Kaspersky and try to run Dropbox again. If it works, you know Kaspersky is the issue, and you'll need to add exclusions for Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

lauraprincipal wrote:

Absolutely! kaspersky has been known to interfere with Dropbox in the past. Temporarily disable Kaspersky and try to run Dropbox again. If it works, you know Kaspersky is the issue, and you'll need to add exclusions for Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Thank you. I switched back to another anti-virus (Avira) and Dropbox is working again! 😊
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Rich is correct, this can happen if the antivirus is a little too secure for the app’s liking.

Specifically, in the error log, the last line is telling:

OperationalError: database is locked

This does indicate on our end that an antivirus/firewall/security software program of some sort is preventing the Dropbox app from loading.

Temporarily disabling it does help, but if it occurs every time you boot… well, the antivirus app is too strict, and it isn’t feasible for any user to temporarily disable it each time you reboot.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Other users wary of temporarily disabling their security software can also install via our full installer.

We have two installers, the tiny meta-installer, and the full installer. The security software is causing issues with the meta-installer, but the full installer (aka the offline installer) should overcome this problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?plat=win&type=full (Windows)

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?plat=mac&type=full (Mac)

Hope this helps.

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?